We are looking for a dedicated 2nd Cook who enjoys working as a part of a team in a fast paced culinary environment!
This position reports to the Chef at the Diavik Diamond Mine site. The 2nd Cook assists the Chef in leading and directing the Food Service Team in the preparation and serving of all food products based on the requirements of the day to day menu and direction of the client.
- the point of pickup for this position is limited to restricted locations within the Northwest Territories only
- Due to the Covid-19 epidemic, all workers will be required to work on a 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off schedule until further notice
- rotational schedule is subject to change
- Journeyman or equivalent is required for this position (or an interest in being an apprentice)
Further duties include (but are not limited to):
- menu development
- the training of junior staff members
- assisting with cleaning duties
- ensuring that Food Safe practices are strictly adhered to at all times
- Assist the Chef and 1st cook in preparing weekly orders for groceries and other kitchen supplies, based on the needs of the kitchen and ensuring the rotation of all stock
Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following:
- Experience in Food Service Management or as a Sous-Chef in a hotel or restaurant environment, including production and service for up to 700 people
- Minimum 2 years related experience in the Food Service Industry
- Must have Ala Carte and buffet menu experience
- A current WHMIS and Level 1 & 2 Food Safe Certificates
- Ability to balance daily menu specials alongside existing set menu, taking into account food cost factors, variety and presentation
- Knowledge of the safe and efficient operation of all equipment in the Food Service area of operations
- Able to lead and direct other kitchen staff in the completion of their daily duties
- Understanding of the proper use of all cleaning chemicals in the Food Service areas of operation, and understand the safety precautions necessary while using these products
- Familiar with the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Must be organized and able to lead the kitchen team during peak periods of production in the absence of the Chef
- Exceptional Customer Service skills and enjoy working with the public
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Concept of working as a team player and have the ability to work well with others
- Ability to work 12 hour days in a fast paced environment
We thank all applicants for submissions, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Bouwa Whee delivers great food, housekeeping and accommodation management services under some of the world’s most challenging conditions. Because we are the North – 100 percent aboriginal owned and headquartered in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – we know what northerners want and how to deliver it. That’s why we’re the contractor of choice at Diavik, Gahcho Kué and Snap Lake, three of Canada’s premier mines.