Job Title - Administrative Coordinator
Status - Term Position, Full or Part-time
Location - Yellowknife, NT, Canada
Rate of Pay - $33+/hour, depending on experience/qualifications
Reports to - President & Board of Makerspace
Length of Contract - This will be a six month term contract position
Job Purpose and Scope
The Administrative Coordinator acts as the main point of contact between staff, membership and volunteers, and may share responsibility with the Board President for interacting with outside organisations and stakeholders. They are responsible for maintaining an effective workflow in the organisation. The Administrative Coordinator plays a key role in providing administrative support for operational activities required to maintain a physical facility, as well as the development and execution of sustainable and relevant programming, learning opportunities, membership and volunteer coordination, and other initiatives that support the Makerspace goals.
The Administrative Coordinator is responsible for managing the organisation’s budget, creating and executing schedules and may also take on other duties regularly associated with office management, including filing, faxing, creating memos and reports, and performing other clerical duties. The Administrative Coordinator reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Makerspace YK is interested in creating a work environment that meets the needs and expectations of our employees. This position can be flexible to suit the career objectives of the ideal candidate.
This will be a six-month term contract position. Candidates may indicate their preference of a full-time or part-time position as part of their application.
The Administrative Coordinator will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle or eye strain. The Administrative Coordinator may also have to do some light lifting of supplies, equipment and materials from time to time which will require an ability to bend and squat and lift up to 40lbs without difficulty.
The Administrative Coordinator may have to manage many projects at one time, and may be interrupted frequently to meet the needs and requests of volunteers, trainees, employees and contractors. The Administrative Coordinator may find the environment to be cold, hot, busy, noisy, and dusty. The Administrative Coordinator is responsible to ensure that all workspaces meet occupational & safety guidelines at all times. The Administrative Coordinator will need excellent organisational and time and stress management skills to complete the required tasks.
The requirement to work effectively with a variety of people including those who may be under stress can create conflict or difficult interpersonal relationships. The requirement to report to a Board of Directors can cause stress. Stress may be caused by the need to complete tasks or projects within tight deadlines.
Contract length: 6 months
Part-time hours: 20-37.5 per week
Application deadline: 2022-03-06
Expected start date: 2022-03-14
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $33.00-$40.00 per hour
Duties & Responsibilities
Leadership and Human Resources
- Define and communicate project objectives that are clear, useful and attainable;
- Supervise and coordinate all employees of MSYK;
- Revise safety protocols with operational staff as required;
- Ensure safety protocols are being followed and communicated by all staff to protect the health and safety of all visitors, volunteers, and minimise risk;
- Coordinate volunteers to support program delivery and other operational needs;
- Provide comprehensive administrative and support to and collaborate with employees of MSYK to complete safety reporting, records management and operations oversight reporting, human resource reporting as well as any other research, reporting or information to bring to the Board of Directors; and
- Provide accurate and timely financial reports, including budget and variance reporting on a periodic basis.
Operational Planning & Management
- Provide administrative support for the planning and delivery programs, events and initiatives that are aligned with Board approved strategy, and MSYK mandate to ensure the organisation’s operations remain relevant to members and meet the expectations of the Board, government agencies, and partners;
- Provide additional administrative support as necessary, including scheduling group meetings, maintaining calendars, doing research, and creating reports;
- Manage all administrative and financial matters and deadlines to ensure the organisation is in good standing with Corporate Legal Registry and the CRA; and
- Educate, communicate and implement MSYK operational, financial, and Human Resource policies/procedures.
Fundraising & Sponsorship Development
- Provide administrative support to employees in seeking out funding opportunities or partnerships which diversify MSYK’s revenue sources in accordance with the Board of Directors.
- Administer in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) the
organisation’s funds in compliance with the approved budget and monitor the monthly
cash-flow, including tracking and reporting on variances from established plans.
- Ensure organisation’s compliance with federal and territorial rules and regulations;
- Identify possible risks and bring them to the attention of the Board of Directors;
- Manage a comprehensive workplace safety policy in accordance with WSCC;
- Ensure all workers, volunteers, etc. have adequate workplace safety training; and
- Maintain existing insurance coverage for the Board of Directors and the organisation.
Marketing and Public/Community Relations
- Collaborate with employees and the Board of Directors to facilitate partnerships that enhance the reputation and operations of MSYK and that enhance support from the community at large.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Desired Skills & Experiences
- Knowledge and experience with Project Management, especially in an industrial or entrepreneurial setting;
- Ability to manage the constraints of the project management triangle, which are cost, time, scope and quality;
- Ability to procure project requirements such as required information, partnership agreements and material or technology needed to accomplish project objectives;
- Knowledge of how to write successful proposals to funders seeking sponsorship, grants and fundraising support;
- Knowledge and understanding of government relations and advocacy;
- Experience in business management, human resource management and financial management; and
- Experience living and working in the North.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft suite and Google Drive;
- Verbal and written communication skills to enhance the communications within the organisation;
- Highly organised and able to facilitate creating an organised system with others;
- Financial management skills including knowledge of bookkeeping, financial reporting, and budgets; and
- Conflict management and effective interpersonal skills to manage a variety of business and professional relationships effectively.
Acquisition of Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The knowledge, skills and abilities required to be successful in this role are usually acquired through a combination of education and experience as follows:
- Experience managing operations of a facility and/or program delivery;
- University degree in a relevant discipline (formal education in management or leadership, financial and/or project management, B.Comm, Engineering); and
- 2- 3 years experience in a relevant field.