The work of Habitat for Humanity Northwest Territories focuses on providing affordable home ownership opportunities to working, lower to middle income NWT families. By becoming homeowners, people realize both a safe and secure place to live and the opportunity to build equity and financial independence for themselves and their children. We are growing and increasing our capacity for impact every year – building more homes, serving more partner families, and providing more opportunities for affordable home ownership in NWT communities.
This is a part-time, one-year term position with the possibility of extension. Starting salary: $74,000 per annum, pro-rata for 20 hours weekly (= $37,000), with additional vacation pay in lieu of vacation. Cost-shared benefit plan available. This is a remote working position with some onsite meetings with Habitat staff, volunteers, and partner families in Yellowknife and potentially other NWT communities.
Habitat for Humanity NWT is hiring a part-time (20 hours weekly) Affiliate & Family Services Coordinator to oversee the Habitat homeownership program. This includes assisting with the recruitment and application process for potential partner families, supporting partner families along their home ownership journey, and liaising with community partners to provide relevant resources to help ensure partner family and Habitat NWT’s continued growth and success. The role supports the capacity and growth of Habitat for Humanity NWT as the organization continues to increase the number of homes built and families served annually in the local community. The position reports to the Executive Director.
This position will be responsible for coordinating the application process to ensure that potential applicants meet program requirement and have all appropriate documentation to proceed with volunteer and management review. In addition, this role will focus on customer service to answer applicant’s questions and guide them through the application process as needed. The Affiliate & Family Services Coordinator will work with the Family Services Committee to manage the application process and provide partner family support through the entire recruitment, application, and post move-in process.
Family Recruitment & Selection
- Oversee the application process and review of potential partner families by providing in-person and virtual information sessions about the Habitat homeownership programs, preparing info materials, giving presentations.
- Answer potential partner family questions about the application process and work with families to ensure complete applications and documentation.
- Manage the process, criteria and priority for application review.
- Arrange and schedule virtual or in-person interviews and home tours
- Liaise with applicants throughout the application process to provide updates and information.
- Update recruitment/application materials as needed.
- Prepare and distribute correspondence to applicants, partner families, and community partners
- Provide insight and recommendations on partner family selection and improvements to the overall application process.
Homeowner Support & Oversight
- Oversee and sign off on partner family Sweat Equity Hours, ensuring hours are documented and accounted for.
- Arrange in-person partner family meetings and social check ins as and when required to strengthen relationships with partner families.
- Connect partner families with community resources including homeowner education programs, credit and/or budget counseling, or other local resources to support them on their homeowner journey.
- Seek out opportunities to strengthen local partnerships for sweat equity and homeowner education opportunities.
- Provide mortgage counseling and information to homeowners when requested and as required, and support families who are delinquent on mortgage payments or need special considerations
- Maintain partner family records and prepare documentation for legal review.
- Coordinate move in and provide event support for onsite key ceremonies.
- Ensure home and building insurance is maintained as required.
- Oversee the management of the annual income assessment and work with the Finance team and Executive Director to maintain updated and accurate mortgage administration information.
- Maintain updated and accurate homeowner records in a secure manner online as well as paper files as required.
- Work with Executive Director to maintain updated Family Services and mortgage policies.
- Work with Finance to provide partner families with annual mortgage statements.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director to support partner families and organizational goals.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience in a non-profit, housing, customer services, finance, or social services field.
- Comfortable delivering presentations to small or medium sized groups, both in-person and virtually.
- Experience in handling client enquiries and complaints with a focus on providing good service.
- Able to work independently as part of a small but mighty team (this is a remote, work at home position).
- Knowledge and respect of diversity and sensitivity to differences among people of various backgrounds.
- Believe in the Mission, Vision and Values of Habitat for Humanity NWT and a desire to make an impact in the lives of families and the drive to grow with this fast-paced organization.
- Accounting and/or financial counseling experience is an asset.
- Experience with Microsoft programs including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Apply with resume and cover letter to Habitat for Humanity NWT’s Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: July 15, 2022.