Artspace - A Project Administered by Makerspace YK
Position Summary - Artspace Manager
Status - One-year term with possibility of extension, full-time (37.5 hours per week) Flexible work arrangements may be required.
Part-time arrangements may be considered depending on candidate(s).
Location - Yellowknife, NT, Canada
Reports to - Executive Director of Makerspace YK
Closing Date - Posting will remain open until position is filled
Mandatory requirements: The Artspace Manager will work directly with youth and vulnerable populations. Candidate must be willing to undergo a vulnerable sector check pre-employment and must be approved in accordance with vulnerable sector check protocols. Note that presence of a criminal record, depending on circumstances, will not necessarily exclude an applicant from candidacy for the position.
Job Purpose and Scope
Makerspace YK (MSYK) is seeking an individual who is passionate about Arts with a strong community focus for the position of Artspace Manager. Artspace won the 2021 Arctic Inspiration Prize (AIP) to offer innovative and focused arts programs, including a drop-in space, and aims to bring Arts programming to youth, individuals experiencing homelessness, and professional artists.
The Artspace Manager is primarily responsible for developing and implementing programming for Artspace. The Manager is responsible for establishing and overseeing drop-in hours for the space, recruiting, training, and managing volunteers, and creating (through partnership or otherwise) a wide variety of Arts programming to be delivered in the space. Flexible and creative solutions will be encouraged, as long as they fall within the parameters of the AIP program requirements.
In addition to running Artspace, the Manager will be responsible for developing a plan, researching and seeking funding aimed at establishing Artspace as a financially successful initiative able to operate past the one-year term of the AIP funding.
The Artspace Manager will spend long hours both standing and sitting, interacting with the public frequently, and using office equipment and computers, which may cause muscle or eye strain. The position will involve lifting of supplies, equipment and materials which will require an ability to bend, squat and lift up to 40 lbs without difficulty.
The Artspace Manager may find the environment to be hot, cold, busy, and noisy at times. Some materials and equipment associated with art-related programming could produce hazardous fumes, or cause injury if used incorrectly. The Artspace Manager may have to interact with clients experiencing issues with trauma or other medical or addiction related issues, and will need to manage these relationships with compassion while never compromising personal safety.
The requirement to work effectively with a variety of people including those who may be under stress can create conflict or challenging interpersonal relationships. Stress may be caused by the need to complete tasks or projects within tight deadlines. No tolerance policies around any substance which may cause impairment may strain relationships between the Artspace Manager and some participants which may cause conflict or stress.
Contract length: 12 months
Part-time hours: 20-37.5 per week
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $65,000.00 per year
COVID-19 considerations: All Makerspace YK employees are required to be vaccinated against Covid-19.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Planning, coordinating and supervising Artspace drop-in hours.
- Ensuring a welcoming, safe, and inclusive atmosphere is created at Artspace.
- Developing and implementing programming for the space in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Recruiting, training and managing volunteers assisting with running the space and delivering programming.
- Maintaining an accurate inventory of materials and supplies and coordinating with the Executive Director to ensure supplies are available for program delivery and operating Artspace.
- Implementing occupational health and safety policies and standard operating procedures in all program delivery and ensuring participants are trained and compliant to ensure Artspace is a safe work environment.
- Ensure Artspace is operated in accordance with MSYK’s approved policies, procedures, mission, and values.
Fundraising, Advertising & Sustainability
- Research funding opportunities and implement a strategy aimed at ensuring ongoing financial stability of Artspace which may include new revenue sources, fundraising and sponsorship opportunities or innovative programming.
- Develop collaborative partnerships with organizations which align with Artspace’s mandate, and mission, aimed at maximizing the utilization of the space to achieve mutually beneficial goals.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy using social media and other means to communicate Artspace programming to the public and in particular, ensuring target demographics are aware of and welcomed into the space.
- Develop and maintain relationships with important partners such as NWT Arts and Canada Council for the Arts to further the mandate of Artspace and support to burgeoning artists.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Desired Skills & Experiences
- Knowledge and experience working in Art therapy is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience teaching in an arts-related field.
- Experience working with youth and/or vulnerable populations.
- Experience working effectively in an intercultural environment.
- Knowledge of proposal writing and a record of success with funding agencies, and experience with fundraising or sponsorship initiatives.
- Passion for promoting and creating excitement for visual arts or an arts-related discipline.
- Teaching or training including adult education skills aimed at delivering arts programming to teach/assist newcomers to the arts.
- Competency in computer skills including Microsoft suite and Google Drive.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to ensure effective communications with multiple stakeholders.
- Conflict management or mediation skills and effective interpersonal skills to manage relationships with clientele effectively.
- Ability to deal with challenging participants and set clear personal boundaries while acting with empathy and compassion.
Acquisition of Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The knowledge, skills and abilities required to be successful in this role may come from a large variety of backgrounds and experience. Applicants with any combination of relevant experience, education and work history are encouraged to apply.
At MSYK and Artspace we foster a work environment that is inclusive as well as diverse where all people can be their best selves. All people, perspectives and ideas are valued so that our services and programs reflect our membership and the people we serve. We encourage applications from all members of our community.