We are recruiting for a passionate and enthusiastic Baker that is adaptable, enjoys leading a team and teaching junior team members . This position typically works on a 4 week in & 4 week out rotation at athe Gahcho Kue Mine mine site in the Northwest Territories.
The Baker oversees the kitchen team on shift , the production and preparation of all bakery products, sandwiches and the breakfast line based on the requirements of the day-to-day menu. The baker supervises 6-10 staff.
Further duties include (but are not limited to): menu development, training of junior staff members, assisting with cleaning duties, and ensuring that Food Safe Practices are strictly adhered to at all times.
The successful candidate must also be ready, willing and able to fulfill all reasonably related duties requested by the Chef and our client.
The Baker may be required to work at multiple sites.
- A Red Seal Certification or Journeyman is mandatory for this position. Please ensure to include your Red Seal, Journeyman, WHMIS, Food Safe, and any other safety certification when submitting your resume.
- The point of pickup for this position is limited to the Northwest Territories and Calgary, Alberta. Candidates will need to be available to fly from a pick up point location within the Northwest Territories and Alberta.
- The ideal candidate must be willing to travel to complete a medical examination and submit vaccination records as required. You will need to have copies of your vaccinations records.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- 3 – 5 years’ experience as a Pastry Chef or as a Bakery Manager.
- Ability to provide and maintain supervision over bread & pastry production for up to 400-650 people.
- Must have current certificates for Food safe, Standard First Aid, WHMIS, and WSCC Mine Supervisor Level 1, and keep them updated as needed.
- Must have experience designing, implementing and organizing bakery menus, and developing standardized recipes in industrial, hotel, and institutional formats.
- Must have a complete understanding of inventory control and cost control systems.
- Safety system and loss prevention experience an asset.
- Must be interested in conducting apprenticeships
Full-Time employees are eligible for medical benefits and RRSP matching!
We thank all applicants for submissions, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted via phone call.
Bouwa Whee delivers great food, housekeeping and accommodation management services under some of the world’s most challenging conditions. Because we are the North – 100 percent aboriginal owned and headquartered in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – we know what northerners want and how to deliver it. That’s why we’re the contractor of choice at Diavik, Gahcho Kué and Snap Lake, three of Canada’s premier mines
For a list of all available Bouwa Whee Catering positions please click on the attached link: https://detoncho.bamboohr.com/jobs/