We are looking for a dedicated Baker's Assistant/2nd Cook who enjoys working as a part of a team in a fast-paced culinary environment!
Reporting to the Baker at the Gahcho Kue Mine Site, the 2nd Cook is a Full-Time Night Shift position
Under the direction of the Baker, the Baker's Assistant/2nd Cook (Night Shift) prepares and serves all items required for breakfast, lunch and dinner services and will assist the Baker in leading and directing the food service team in the preparation and serving of all food products based on the requirements of the day to day menu and direction of the client.
The Baker's Assistant/2nd Cook must adhere to Territorial and Federal sanitation practices. Prepare food items for guests using a timely and consistent manner. Practice sanitation and safety daily and throughout the shift. Employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the company. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and safety meetings is required.
Further duties include (but are not limited to): assisting in preparing weekly orders for groceries and kitchen supplies based on the needs of the kitchen, menu development, assist with developing recipes for interesting and exciting menu items to fulfill the nutritional needs of our guests, the training of junior staff members, assisting with cleaning duties and ensuring that Food Safe practices are strictly adhered to at all times.
- The point of pick up for this position is limited to the NWT only.
- This is a typically a 2x2 rotational position however due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, the rotational scheduling will be on a 4x4 basis until further notice.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following:
- experience in Food Service Management or as a Sous-Chef in a hotel or restaurant environment, including production and service for up to 400 people
- minimum 3 years related experience in the Food Service Industry
- previous Baking experience is an asset
- must have ala carte and buffet menu experience
- must have a current WHMIS and Level 1 & 2 Food Safe Certificates (please submit upon applying)
- a journeyman cook status or equivalent experience is required to qualify for this position
- ability to balance daily menu specials alongside existing set menu, taking into account food cost factors, variety and presentation
- knowledge of the safe and efficient operation of all equipment in the Food Service area of operations
- able to lead and direct other kitchen staff in the completion of their daily duties
- understanding of the proper use of all cleaning chemicals in the Food Service areas of operation, and understand the safety precautions necessary while using these products
- familiar with the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- must be organized and able to lead the kitchen team during peak periods of production in the absence of the Baker
- exceptional Customer Service skills and enjoy working with the public
- ability to work under limited supervision.
- concept of working as a team player and have the ability to work well with others
- ability to work 12 hour days in a fast paced environment
Full-Time employees are eligible for medical benefits and RSP matching!
We thank all applicants for submissions, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Bouwa Whee delivers great food, housekeeping and accommodation management services under some of the world’s most challenging conditions. Because we are the North – 100 percent aboriginal owned and headquartered in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – we know what northerners want and how to deliver it. That’s why we’re the contractor of choice at Diavik, Gahcho Kué and Snap Lake, three of Canada’s premier mines
For a list of all available Bouwa Whee Catering positions please click on the following link: https://detoncho.bamboohr.com/jobs/