This position provides coverage as needed at the Sutherland House shelter for women in Fort Smith, facilitates afternoon and evening group and individual support sessions for women experiencing spousal violence and for children who have witnessed family violence. It provides life skills instruction to help women and children cope with the emotional, social, psychological, and practical safety issues arising from family violence. This position also provides leadership for public events such as Take Back the Night and Family Violence Awareness Week. This position offers positive social responses to clients, within a trauma-informed practice approach. Standard hours are 11 am-7 pm with some flexibility to cover a shift when other staff are absent, Monday to Friday.
Visit https://www.ywcanwt.ca/jobs for full job description.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification and clear criminal records check
- Experience working with women and children experiencing family violence
- Experience with providing advocacy for clients
- Understanding of domestic violence as a personal and social issue
- Understanding of positive social responses and trauma informed service delivery
- Ability to work a shift that bridges day and evening hours
- Ability to remain calm, respectful and firm in stressful situations
- Maintain appropriate professional and personal boundaries
- Good interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Creative problem solving skills
- Knowledge of community resources
- Knowledge of family violence research and programming
- Knowledge of and ability to work with persons of varying cultural backgrounds
- Good recordkeeping skills
- Ability to implement planned activities and sessions
- Good observational skills
- Good judgment and decision making skills
- Must have access to personal vehicle