Northwestel is actively seeking an enthusiastic Cable Splicer to join the growing field operations team! Cable Splicers will have the opportunity to work on the installation and maintenance of all aerial and underground Outside Plant facilities, including fibre, copper, and coax, all while playing a critical role in the success of our organization! You will need a technical diploma in telecommunications or related program at a recognized institute and/or a minimum of one (1) year cable splicing and a Class 5 drivers license.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
- Install and maintain all aerial and underground Outside Plant facilities (fibre, copper, and coax) and related hardware.
- Provide as-built drawing(s) and data for records via computer system upon completion of work.
- On-site preparation of cutover sheets, update maps and records as required.
- Provide proper care, operation and safekeeping of all tools, equipment and vehicles as assigned.
- Ensure all safety rules, company standards, policies and regulations of the position are followed.
- Complete and maintain the flow of reports and correspondence as required.
- It may be required at times to perform service-related duties.
- Travel throughout our Operating Territory is required.
- Understand and use test gear related to copper, coax, and fibre.
- Accurately complete/prepare documentation for all types of outages and threats or a MOP for major cutover and ensure that all the appropriate parties are involved.
- Contact and work with customers to minimize the impact of service interruptions or degradation, per Company protocol.
- Accurately locate Northwestel underground plant and complete associated documentation for the customer and for company records.
- May be required to do a quality inspection on Outside Plant facilities work done by other resources.
- May be required to troubleshoot and repair microwave transmission lines and satellite dishes.
- Must be able to perform physical duties as required, including working aloft, using equipment provided by Northwestel.
- Must be able to work effectively as a team member.
- Completed technical diploma in telecommunications or related program at a recognized institute and/or a minimum of one (1) year cable splicing experience with copper, fibre and coax.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license, minimum Class 5 with a clean Driver's Abstract, conducted periodically by a third party. Obtaining a Class 1 with an air endorsement may be required.
- Strong understanding theory of copper, fibre, and coax theory.
- Computer literacy (including software Windows XP, MS Office).
- Must be flexible and adaptable to continuous change.
- Must be physically capable of carrying extension ladders long distances and lifting and moving up to 23 kilograms (51 pounds).
- Good interpersonal skills and strong verbal & written communications skills
- Need to be able to work as part of a team.
As a safety-conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.