The position aims to support the primary caregiver. The CYW will be responsible for engaging with children and youth and implementing activities that are fun, educational, and therapeutic. Child & Youth Worker will be working directly with a group of children in care, who may range in age from newborn to 11 years old. This position is 20 hours/week.
- Plan and implement games, activities, or outings.
- Engage with children at all times: be open, communicative, and supportive.
- Ensure children are supervised at all times.
- Lead activities with enthusiasm and energy
- Respect all spaces in the homes and facilities, and ensure proper care, use, and maintenance of them.
- Ensure all spaces are properly cleaned at the end of each shift.
- Communicate with supervisor, Therapeutic Caregivers, or Social Workers as needed.
- Help with duties around the house. (Dishes, laundry, cooking etc)
- Attending mandatory trainings give by PLEA ( a partnering organization running out of BC)
- Attending occasional mandatory meetings with PLEA, the Therapeutic Caregiver, and the Therapeutic Homes Coordinator.
- Must be extremely punctual and reliable.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience working with children and youth with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, a trauma background, and various behavioral needs.
- Enthusiasm and desire to work with children and youth and make a positive impact on their life.
- Knowledge of northern First Nations, Inuit, and Métis cultures.
- Strong time management skills.