- Install, splice, terminate, repair and maintain telecommunications and business systems equipment and associated aerial and underground Outside Plan facilities (copper, coax and Fibre) and related hardware on existing cable plants.
- Required to repair major cable breaks on an emergency basis.
- Understand and perform the safe operation of test gear related to copper, coax and fibre cable.
- Ensures all work activities such as climbing poles, using equipment and operating vehicles are executed properly and in accordance with safety standards, regulations and limitations of the company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the proper inspection, maintenance and operation of all hand and power tools.
- Required to perform the duties of a Service Technician in the areas of telephony, data, Key Systems, and PABX on an as needed basis.
- Represents the Company through direct contact with customers which may require the need to explain Company equipment and services.
- Contribute to continuous improvement in the delivery of product or service to internal and/or external customers.
- Create and maintain documentation and paperwork associated with any of the above.
- Actively participate in personal and professional education and development to keep current with required technologies or skills required to effectively manage and resolve customer issues.
- Protects the Company's assets always and in all situations within the employee’s control.
- Will be required to be available for call-outs when on Standby status and/or during emergencies.
- May be required to do Remote Central Office and Earth Station work.
- May be required to perform and assist on building maintenance while in the remote locations.
- Travel throughout the Northwestel operating area as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Completed technical diploma in telecommunications or related program at a recognized institute and a minimum of two (2) years cable splicing experience with copper, fibre and coax ; OR a minimum of 5 years direct copper slicing experience in lieu of formal education;
- Ability to work effectively without direct supervision and work effectively as a member of a team with a broad range of duties;
- Must have good organizational/coordination skills;
- Must be physically able to work aloft, including on poles and ladders;
- Computer literacy sufficient to function with the documentation processes associated with duties;
- Possess valid drivers license (minimum class 5);
- Must be able to travel to sites, out of town and respond to emergency call-outs as required;
- Must be physically capable of performing duties; and
- Must be willing to work inside or outside in all weather conditions.
As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take pre-employment tests and/or complete work simulation exercise to assess job fit.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.