Is your ideal workplace the great outdoors? Do you enjoy working on a variety of technical challenges? Do your skills and experience match the following requirements? If the answer is yes, we are looking for you! Northwestel is seeking a Combination Technician for Norman Wells, NT.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
- Maintain/install all equipment in Central Office locations including but not limited to transmission and switching equipment
- Maintain/install DC power plant equipment including but not limited to rectifiers, inverters, counter cells, battery and distribution facilities
- Maintain/install supervisory equipment
- Maintain/install multiplex and VF equipment
- Perform the duties of Service Technician (telephony, data, Key Systems, PABX)
- Perform the duties of a Cable TV Installation Technician
- Maintain microwave terminals and repeaters (Analog and Digital)
- Assist or relieve Radio, or Radio/CO Combination Technicians as required
- Maintain/install satellite remote terminals
- Maintain/install VHF base stations and mobiles
- Contribute individually or as part of a team to continuous improvement in the delivery of product or service to internal and/or external customers.
- Create and maintain documentation and paperwork associated with any of the above
- Active participate in personal education and development
- Protect the Company's assets.
- Required to travel to sites and out of town and may be required for call outs.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Journeyman communications technician or graduate of a 2-year communication electronic program at a recognized technical institute or achieve a passing mark on qualifying exam.
- Must have Knowledge of central office switching equipment including the DMS-10s and Redcoms
- Must have knowledge of telephony, data, and associated wiring / fiber
- Ability to work effectively without direct supervision.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team with a broad range of duties.
- Computer literacy
- Possess valid drivers license (minimum class 5)
- Must be physically capable of performing duties
- Must be willing to work inside or outside in all weather conditions
- As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take pre-employment tests and/or complete work simulation exercise to assess job fit.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.