As a Combination Technician B, you will install/upgrade/repair various technologies provided to Northwestel's customers. You require certification as a Journeyman Communications Technician or a graduate of a 2-year communication electronic program at a recognized technical institute or achieve a passing mark on a qualifying exam. Two (2) years or more work experience in the technologies specified below.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. If you are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority please indicate so when you are completing the pre-screen questions as you apply to receive hiring preference.
- Installs/upgrades/repairs various technologies provided to the customer, depending on location, that includes but is not limited to the following:
- Microwave terminals and repeaters (analog and digital);
- Satellite remote terminals;
- VHF base stations and mobiles;
- Central Office equipment including transmission and switching equipment;
- Supervisory equipment;
- DC power plant equipment including but not limited to rectifiers, inverters, counter cells, battery and distribution facilities;
- Multiplex and VF equipment; and
- Electronics associated with fibre optic systems;
- Required to provide occasional support for other technical roles including but not limited to Radio, or Radio/CO Combination Technicians;
- Required to perform the duties of a Service Technician in the areas of telephony, data, Key Systems, and PABX on an as-needed basis;
- Represents the Company through direct contact with customers which may require the need to explain Company equipment and services;
- Contribute to continuous improvement in the delivery of product or service to internal and/or external customers;
- Create and maintain documentation and paperwork associated with any of the above;
- Actively participate in personal and professional education and development to keep current with required technologies or skills required to effectively manage and resolve customer issues;
- Protects the Company's assets at all times and in all situations within the employee’s control;
- Will be required to be available for call-outs when on Standby status and/or during emergencies;
- Required to travel to various customer sites including out-of-town locations that require air travel including helicopters and small airplanes and may be required for call-outs.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Journeyman Communications Technician or graduate of a 2-year communication electronic program at a recognized technical institute or achieve a passing mark on the qualifying exam;
- Two (2) years or more work experience in the technologies (listed above) being serviced in the area where this job is located;
- Ability to work effectively without direct supervision;
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team with a broad range of duties;
- Computer literacy sufficient to function with the documentation processes associated with service calls;
- Possess valid drivers license (minimum class 5);
- Must be able to travel to sites, out of town and respond to emergency call-outs as required;
- Must be physically capable of performing duties; and
- Must be willing to work inside or outside in all weather conditions.
- As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take pre-employment tests and/or complete a work simulation exercise to assess job fit.