The NWT Resource Centre Cook will be responsible to prepare and cook nutritious meals for 60-100 people twice each day and be an integral component of fulfilling the mission of The Salvation Army in the community.
Key Responsibilities: Menu and Meal Preparation:
- Creation of daily menu plans based on food donations to be served in Resource Center 2nd floor dining room and 1st Floor shelter
- Prepares and serves nutritious meals for lunch and supper as outlined on menus in accordance with applicable food service and safety regulations
- Provides lunch time serving assistance to shelter staff during weekend shifts
- Provides one day meal prep for shift change
- Efficiently uses resources related to food donations
- Adapts work practices within specific parameters to ensure the efficient and timely delivery of food services – based on prescribed schedule by designated programs
- Works in conjunction with community groups for special feasts or meals as assigned
- Works in conjunction with The Salvation Army Program staff providing for daily and special event food services needs
Meal Service and Clean-up
- Serves prepared meals at lunch and supper serving times in accordance with applicable food service and safety regulations
- Serves lunch time meal to shelter staff during weekend shifts
- Lunch and supper meal clean up to include, but not limited to, dishes, cooking and eating utensils, all cookware, all serving tables, kitchen floors
Administration of Kitchen:
- Maintains high level of cleanliness and organization at all times within the kitchen, dining room, storage areas, cooler and freezer
- Supervision of any kitchen assistance, volunteers and students
- Ensures all kitchen equipment in good repair
- Reports all kitchen equipment repairs or replacement needs to Operations Manager
- Creates and maintains standards of sanitation, safety and food preparation and storage.
- Organizes the work of food services for support staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Food Safe Certification
- High School graduate
- Completion of recognized Cooking Certification
- One to three years of prior related experience in high volume cooking
- Experience in nutritional needs of homeless and addicted population
- WHIMIS, First Aid would be considered an asset
- Criminal Record Check required
Successful candidates, prior to hiring, may be required to provide:
- Valid Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Valid First Aid certificate
- The Salvation Army on-line certification for abuse prevention
- Clear internal abuse registry check
- Participate in mandatory yearly training
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required.
- Standing for long periods of time on a daily basis to prepared meals
- Working with Sharp utensils on a daily basis – possibility of cuts
- Utilization of varied equipment which generates extreme heat – possibility of burns
- As Cook, there are often situations when flexible hours are required, possibly creating personal inconvenience.
- Stress may be involved when working with staff who have to work daily with “high demand” clients.
- In addition, this is a “ministry” position and will be a demanding position from a spiritual point of view. The successful candidate should anticipate and be prepared for the spiritual dimension of the position.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.