If you are an experienced education professional with previous experience in Indigenous Education development and delivery, and you are open minded, excited by new experiences and ready to embrace change, this role is for you. If your heart and passion are calling you to apply your skills and experience to make a difference in Indigenous Education, this role is for you. If you understand and embrace a holistic approach to education – from early childhood to adulthood - and you recognize that community, culture and traditions are integral to Indigenous Education, this role is definitely for you.
The Director of Education, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, is responsible for leading the development, implementation and ongoing delivery of comprehensive Indigenous education programs to the students and citizens of Délı̨nę. The Director is responsible for collaborating with community leaders to develop strategic initiatives to support Indigenous rights to education and appropriate programming that also supports traditions and culture and ensures that Délı̨nę Final Self Government Agreement (DFSGA) provisions related to education are implemented at a high standard. The Director will be passionate about and skilled at creating a holistic approach to educational initiatives and programming from early childhood education to adult education and everything in between for all learners. The Director of Education provides curriculum development support and offers professional leadership as requested to school principals, teachers and support staff in program delivery focused on culture, language, and traditional knowledge of Délı̨nę.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in Education, preferably with graduate studies in a specialized Education field, Management, Business or Public Administration.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years teaching or education administration experience
- Ideally, experience at a senior management level as a principal or public administrator, including management of large budgets, preparing plans and implementing policy, and leading and managing a team
- Experience working or partnering with Indigenous Governments
- Experience in cross-cultural education and coursework in Indigenous Studies are assets and would be considered as equivalencies.
- The ideal incumbent should have the ability to communicate in Dene ǝdǝ́ or have knowledge of the Délı̨nę culture and heritage.
- You have experience in and enjoy living in remote, northern, Indigenous communities