The Cargo Van Driver plays an important role by ensuring that food donations are picked up and delivered to the NWT Resource Centre in a safe and timely manner to assist with the smooth operation of the CFS department’s community food bank and the Resource Centre’s kitchen operation. The Cargo Van Driver should be a good representative of The Salvation Army through courteous and respectful interactions with the public, including well-mannered driving habits.
pick ups and drop offs
- Loading donated goods from local stores and food suppliers (e.g. NorthBest Food Distributers, Co-op, Walmart, Food Rescue, etc.) to be delivered to The Salvation Army NWT Resource Centre
- Purchasing and/or pick up of some food supplies for the Resource Centre kitchen
- Ensure timely delivery of food or merchandise from local suppliers to the Centre
- Ensure that goods are delivered in a safe and secure manner
- Offloading food or merchandize at the Resource Centre
- Following the best practices for safety, both on the road and while loading or unloading the CFS cargo van
- Represent The Salvation Army well by courteous and respectful interactions with the public, including well-mannered driving habits.
- Occasional need to sort food donations and/or deliver picked up goods within the Resource Centre
- Inspecting the vehicle before and after each trip away from the Resource Centre.
- Class 5 Driver’s License is a requirement
- Clean driver’s abstract
- Experience operating a cargo size vehicle is an asset
ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Attention to detail
- Ability to drive a motor vehicle safely
- Ability to follow directions and work independently
- Effective oral communication in English
- Ability to work within the mandate of and embrace the mission of The Salvation Army
Note: Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered.
The successful incumbent will be required to complete/provide:
- Clean Criminal Record Check
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- Clean driver’s abstract
- Valid First Aid certificate
- The Salvation Army on-line certification for abuse prevention
- Clear internal abuse registry check
- Participate in mandatory yearly training
- There may be situations when requests for pickups come outside of normal pick-up days and times, so some flexible hours may be requested.
- During Christmas season, additional items such as toy donations may need to be picked up.
- The job at times can be physically demanding when larger loads are required to be loaded and unloaded from the cargo van.
- This is a Part-Time position based on 12 hours per week on average set through consultation with the Supervisor.