The NWT Seniors’ Society has an exciting opportunity for a highly skilled and self-motivated candidate for the Executive Director (ED) position. The Society promotes the independence and well-being of all older adults through partnerships with governments, other non-profits, in all NWT communities. The Society advises the Government of the NWT Minister Responsible for Seniors and acts as the secretariat to the NWT Network to Prevent Abuse of Older Adults. The NWT Seniors’ Society is a non-profit organization located in Yellowknife. The ED reports to a Board of Directors of older adults from across the NWT and organizes regular Board meetings.
The ED leads activities designed to achieve the NWTSS’ mission, vision, and goals, and ensures the integrity of the organization in all matters in a manner that:
- Promotes awareness and asserts the rights of older adults;
- Demonstrates sensitivity and responds to the diverse needs of older adults; and
- Encourages independence, dignity, and quality of life of all older adults.
The ED is also responsible for:
- Organizing Board meetings and providing regular updates for the Board
- Facilitating workshops on issues of relevance to older adults including elder abuse
- Managing projects and offering regular reporting to funders
- A minimum of three to five years of management experience within the voluntary sector in a position(s) concerned with vulnerable members of society and certification and/or training in human resource management, volunteer management, financial management, administration, leadership, board development, communications, and/or programming for older adults.
- A strong commitment to, and respect for older adults and working cooperatively with them.
- Broad knowledge of the socio-economic characteristics of NWT communities, and public and Indigenous government and political processes and functions in the NWT and Canada.
- An understanding of community development processes and approaches, particularly in cross-cultural and remote circumstances.
- A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other computer applications.
A Position Description is available upon request. The successful applicant must provide a criminal records check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com addressed to:
Hiring committee, NWT Seniors' Society
The NWT Seniors’ Society is a non-profit organization incorporated in 1983 under the Societies Act of the NWT.
The Society provides information, acts as a resource and support for seniors and elders across the NWT. The Society is the only voluntary agency representing the individual and collective interests of all seniors and elders in the NWT.
The NWT Seniors’ Society provides:
Toll Free Seniors’ Information Line 1 (800) 661-0878
Advice to governments and communities which supports and promotes policy development, programs and services to enhance the lives of older adults; and
Community workshops on topics and issues which affect seniors and elders including elder abuse;