Special Olympics NWT is seeking a Executive Director (part-time contract work).
Special Olympics is a dynamic, world-wide charitable organization dedicated to providing sports training and competition for people with an intellectual disability. Special Olympics athletes attain more than just sport skills through their involvement; they also develop social skills and learn about sportsmanship and camaraderie.
Special Olympics NWT (SONWT) is the territorial sport governing body responsible for the delivery of sport for people with intellectual disabilities in the Northwest Territories. It is a not-for- profit organization, registered as a charity within the NWT. All sport programs are run by volunteer coaches.
Athletes participate in swimming, bowling, speed skating, rhythmic gymnastics and figure skating as well as in track and field, golf and snowshoeing. There are also adult fitness programs and youth skills development programs for those aged 3 – 11. Over 35 athletes participate with the help of over 45 volunteers.
The successful candidate should have a combination of sport and management/supervisory experience.
- Undergraduate degree in Physical Education or Recreation Studies and/or
- Minimum of NCCP coaching certification level 1 in a specific sport
- Experience in sport and sport development;
- Experience working with individuals with an intellectual disability.
- Strong planning, organizational and leadership skills;
- Strong communication and public speaking skills;
- Ability to work independently while being a strong team player;
- Strong written and interpersonal skills;
- Experience and knowledge of computers;
- Must have the ability to work evenings and week-ends;
- Must have a valid driver’s license.