The Food Services Manager under the supervision of Executive Director or designate, will be responsible for oversight, supervision, and operation of kitchen, cooks, other kitchen staff and/or volunteers as required. The Food Services Manager is responsible for dietary service inventory, including the needs of the Community Ministries Department food bank.
Leadership and Supervisory Duties:
- Maintain overall responsibility of day-to-day operations in the kitchen
- Ensure the use of quality ingredients while continually balancing the cost of day-to-day operations
- Train staff on new recipes, cooking techniques, and equipment
- Adhere to all legislated health and safety regulations
- Cost out all menu items and prepare weekly inventories
- Under the guidance of the Executive Director or designate, lead, develop, and deliver strategic plans
- Review staffing levels to meet service, operational, and financial objectives
Food Preparation Duties:
- Responsible for menu creation, purchasing, cost controls, training, and inventory
- Delegate responsibilities and assist kitchen cooks in meal preparation as required
- Take charge of the planning, organizing, staffing, directing, and controlling all aspects of the kitchen operation
- Develop and implement a process for receipt and delivery of food orders from the Program Department(s)
Coordination and relationship Management:
- Works in conjunction with community groups for special feasts or meals
- Works in conjunction with The Salvation Army Program staff providing for daily and special event food services needs
- Maintain a cooperative relationship with team members, optimizing staff productivity, and serving as replacement in team members’ absence
- Seek out opportunities for community partnerships to provide internal/external food services and/or training
- Implement and uphold hygiene policies
- Human ReLATIONS:
- Supervise other cooks, employees, and volunteers involved in food preparation/dietary services
- Complete Performance Excellence and Coaching (PEAC) for direct reports
- Participate in corrective action within the guidelines of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (i.e., Coaching, progressive discipline as required).
- Monitors staff attendance in accordance with the Absence Management System
Documentation and Admnistrations:
- Perform administrative tasks, such as taking stock of food and equipment supplies, coordinating food deliveries, and other tasks as befits daily operations
- Electronically documents and distributes the menu to departments as required
- Ensure that all food is prepared, stored, and served according to Serve Safe Standards and with territorial and/or local health code requirements.
Qualifications and Education requirements:
*NOTE: For some jobs, you may be required to provide validated educational documentation.
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Diploma or certificate in culinary arts
- Food Safe certification
- WHMIS, First Aid would be considered an asset
- Red Seal, or equivalent, an asset.
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements
- 3+ years’ experience leading a culinary team in a dynamic, fast-paced environment(required)
- Basic Computer skills - Microsoft word, Outlook, and Excel
- Criminal Record Check required
- Valid Driving License
- Successful candidates, prior to hiring, may be required to provide:
- Background check consent
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- A clean drivers abstract
- Completion of our online Armatus Abuse Training and required Health and Safety training
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.