Are you interested in learning more about wild plants and northern agriculture? Do you want to learn about manufacturing northern products using hand foraged ingredients? Do you love being outdoors, and in nature? Laughing Lichen is seeking a motivated, hardworking, and responsible recruit to join our team. An ideal candidate must be comfortable working outdoors in all types of weather and terrain where biting insects and wildlife will be encountered. A valid drivers license, and personal transportation is a requirement for this position.
- Harvest and processing native wild herbs, berries, fungi, and lichens.
- Manufacture and package herbal products such as oils, salves, soap, herbs, and tea.
- Assisting with daily operations of on-site staff, volunteers, and students
- Cleaning of Manufacturing facilities, herb drying barn and Manufacturing equipment
- Processing retail orders, shipping and receiving.
- Respond to telephone, and email enquiries.
- Assisting with various administrative tasks
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Familiar with Microsoft word, Microsoft Excel, and basic math skills are imperative.
- An interest in learning about wild native plants, mushrooms, and berries of the north.
- Comfortable working outdoors in environments where biting insects and wildlife may be encountered.
- Proficiency in English reading and writing skills.
- Comfortable working both as a team member and independently with minor supervision.
- Capable of multi-tasking, planning several activities simultaneously.
- Physically fit and able to lift-up to 40 lbs, carry backpacks, and hike up to 4 kilometers per/day.
- Employee will be responsible for providing their own outdoor clothing suitable for all weather conditions such as warm winter boots, proper hiking boots, and raingear etc.
- Drivers License/personal transportation is a requirement for this position.
- Ability to commute daily to business location daily located 30kms from Yellowknife, NT.
- A Satisfactory Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search will be a condition of Offer of employment.
- Valid Food Safe training/Food safe certificate level 1
- Strong strategic thinking skills
- First Aid/CPR/wilderness First Aid
- Ability to Assist with Typing letters, reports, policies, and other documents.
- Website, marketing, and design experience
- Knowledge and identification of native plant, fungi, and lichens
- Educational background in retail, business, biology, ecology, and botany.
How to Apply:
Application is open to residents of the Northwest Territories only.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and references outlining how they meet the specific requirements for the position to Amy Maund by Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a full-time permanent position.
Submission deadline: Until a suitable candidate is found.
We appreciate all applications but only those that are selected for an interview will be contacted. Indigenous candidates are encouraged to apply. This opportunity will be posted until filled.
Established in 2010 Laughing Lichen is a farm, learning centre and manufacturer of wild foraged products operating in Canada’s northern wilderness. Our facility is “off-the-grid” powered using solar energy. We teach workshops and offer Internships about wild foods, herbal medicine, ecology, and traditional economy. The products we create are crafted in small batches using wild herbs, berries, lichens, and fungi foraged from across the Northwest Territories. Our product line includes teas, herbs, spice dried forest products, soap, candles, and personal care products. Spurred by our love of nature, Laughing Lichen was founded upon our value of ethical harvesting to ensure a sustainable future for everyone - our forests included. Laughing Lichens high quality wild ingredients are harvested by hand in the wilderness. Our Facilities are located approximately 30 minutes via road from Yellowknife along HWY 4.