The Research Assistant summer student position at FOXY is a dedicated learning and work experience opportunity for a young person interested in youth sexual and mental health, northern health research, and knowledge translation.
Previous knowledge in research or knowledge translation is not required. We encourage you to apply if you are interested in this opportunity!
This position will be flexible, and will be comprised of:
- The summer student will work from home in their NWT community and to use their own Internet and cell phone.
- Attendance at a 9 day FOXY Peer Leader Retreat (July-August) at Blachford Lake Lodge may be required.
- $27 per hour (37.5 hours/week in flex-time) – extension may be possible
- This is a full-time position for 12 weeks, starting as soon as possible
Core Responsibilities & Tasks
Work activities require flexibility with the quickly evolving Covid-19 situation and will include:
- Attendance and support as a Research Assistant at the FOXY Peer Leader Retreat at Blachford Lake Lodge in July/August
- Working with FOXY to implement key research and knowledge translation activities for FOXY and SMASH. Activities could include:
- Writing and managing FOXY/SMASH knowledge translation content for youth, parents, teachers and decision-makers.
- Social media campaign targeted to NWT youth;
- Independent projects depending on capacity and interest;
- Data entry and transcription.
- Learning and professional development in research, communications, media, and knowledge translation;
- Other work and activities as needed.
- This position is funded through Canada Summer Jobs, so please confirm on your cover letter that you meet the CSJ requirements:
- between 15-30 years of age
- are a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Are legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
- we also require that you are living in the Northwest Territories (even though this job can be done from home), because this role is funded through Canada Summer Jobs out of the Northwest Territories Constituency.
The successful applicant must provide proof that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19, as well as a criminal record check (with vulnerable sector).
Please submit a resume and cover letter to FOXY Executive Director Candice Lys at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm MDT on May 30, 2022. We will acknowledge receiving each application, so please reach out if you do not receive an email confirmation by the deadline.
FOXY is a non-profit organization based in Yellowknife that has reached over 7000 youth across the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and the Yukon since 2012. FOXY’s mission is to enhance the knowledge, health, and well-being of Northern and Indigenous youth through the arts and we are rooted in the core values of trauma-informed practice, openness, safety, trust, connections, shared knowledge, culture, self-determination, intersectionality, and the North.
Through our FOXY (Fostering Open eXpression among Youth) and SMASH (Strength, Masculinities, and Sexual Health) programs, we offer arts-based, trauma-informed, culturally grounded, Northern-focused, comprehensive sexual and mental health education for youth of all genders in the NWT, Nunavut, and Yukon schools and community organizations (Sept-June) and through Peer Leader Retreats (held at Blachford Lake Lodge in July-August). FOXY is led by Dr. Candice Lys as Executive Director who holds a PhD in Public Health, and engages in community-based health research with youth in the North and evaluation of our programming.
For more information about FOXY and SMASH, please visit:
www.arcticfoxy.com and www.arcticsmash.ca