FOXY is a non-profit organization based in Yellowknife that has reached over 7000 youth across the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and the Yukon since 2012. FOXY’s mission is to enhance the knowledge, health, and well-being of Northern and Indigenous youth through the arts and we are rooted in the core values of safety, shared knowledge, intersectionality, connections, northern, openness, culture, self-determination, trust and a strengths-based trauma-informed lens. FOXY vision is to be innovative, well-resourced, and adaptive to the needs of Northerners and that youth are resilient, informed, and engaged in positive relationships with self, others, and their communities.
Through our FOXY (Fostering Open eXpression among Youth) and SMASH (Strength, Masculinities, and Sexual Health) programs, we offer arts-based, trauma-informed, culturally grounded, Northern-focused, comprehensive sexual and mental health education for youth of all genders in NWT, Nunavut, and Yukon schools and community organizations (Sept-June) and through Peer Leader Retreats (held in summers at Blachford Lake Lodge). FOXY is led by Dr. Candice Lys as Executive Director (ED) who holds a PhD in Public Health, and engages in community-based health research in the North and program evaluation.
Remuneration and Work Schedule
Remuneration is based upon experience, in the range of $32-35/hour + 4% vacation pay. All travel expenses from your home community will be reimbursed according to FOXY travel policies. Work hours vary according to workshop needs, and this is a flexible, casual, as-needed position. Generally, facilitators are asked to travel within the days of Monday-Friday, though occasionally travel may fall during the weekend or evenings due to flight schedules, driving times, weather conditions, etc. On-site attendance at Peer Leader Retreats to facilitate programming may be requested.
Work Environment and Conditions:
The FOXY/SMASH facilitator is not based out of a central office and will travel to communities throughout the NT, NU, and YT to facilitate workshops with 2-3 other team members. Must have consistent access to their supervisor and other team members via email and phone during regular office hours Monday-Friday and while on work travel. This position requires frequent travel throughout all weather conditions and lifting of heavy equipment (e.g., workshop suitcases) up to 60 lbs over short distances.
How to Apply:
With “Application for FOXY/SMASH Facilitator” in the subject line, please email your resume and a cover letter outlining why you want to work for FOXY and how you are the best candidate for this position to Dr. Candice Lys, email@example.com, by noon MST on October 21, 2022. We anticipate conducting interviews the week of October 31 with a start date as soon as possible.
Design and Delivery of FOXY/SMASH Programming
- Work strategically and collaboratively with the FOXY & SMASH team and partners to assist with design and refinement of FOXY & SMASH programming
- Facilitate FOXY/SMASH sexual health and mental health educational programming and youth outreach activities across the NWT, Nunavut, and Yukon
- Mentor SMASH and FOXY adolescent Peer Facilitators during workshops
- Supervise Peer Facilitators while on work travel
- Assist the Program Coordinator with logistics and programming preparation, including packing supplies and delivery of program equipment
- Collaborate with the Program Coordinator to troubleshoot travel issues that occasionally arise while workshop teams are traveling
- Actively develop and maintain positive relationships with participants, parents/guardians, community organizations, schools, staff, funders, governments and other key stakeholders throughout the NT, NU, and YT
- Understand and implement all FOXY organizational policies and procedures and follow all risk management guidelines
- Connect participants with resources at the community, territorial, and national levels, as needed
Social Media & Administrative Support
- Contribute to FOXY & SMASH’s social media content across platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
- Prepare reports on activities completed, as needed
- Complete travel claims and time sheets on time and correctly; assist Peer Facilitators to complete their documents when traveling as a team
Research Team Contributions
- Collect data for research projects during programming, as required
- Participate in research and professional development meetings, attend conferences to present about FOXY & SMASH, as needed
- There is opportunity to receive mentorship in research from the ED and contribute to research projects at various stages if interested (such as partnership and project development, data collection, analysis, manuscript writing, knowledge mobilization)
Qualifications and Experience: Many excellent candidates may not meet every requirement listed below, therefore if you are excited about this position and think you would do a great job, you are encouraged to apply!
- Passionate about youth development and enthusiastic about the mission, core values, and vision of FOXY & SMASH
- Knowledge of Northern social and cultural contexts and experience working with Northern communities
- Successful completion of post-secondary education in a related field (e.g., health promotion, social work, education, etc.) is an asset but relevant combinations of experience and education will also be considered
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in sexual health education and minimum 2 years’ experience in workshop facilitation preferred
- Community-based research experience is an asset
- GBA+, Mental Health First Aid, and other trauma-informed training are an asset (training opportunities are available)
- Ability to think creatively with strong facilitation skills
- Organized, with strong time management and prioritization skills
- Ability and desire to work as a member of a team in a fast-paced setting
- Self-starter who takes initiative and can work with minimal supervision
- Strong collaborative leadership and conflict resolution skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Must provide a clear criminal record check (with vulnerable sector)
- Must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccinations. FOXY requires that all staff members are up to date on Covid-19 vaccinations.
- Preference given to those currently residing in the NWT, Nunavut, or Yukon
For more information about FOXY and SMASH, please visit: www.arcticfoxy.com and www.arcticsmash.ca