This position works with up to 6 children in a group home in Yellowknife. The CYW is responsible for following the instruction of the caregiver and implementing games, instruction, assistance with homework, and therapeutic interventions as needed.
This position requires training, offered by FFC, and the successful candidate would benefit from prior work with children who display high needs behaviour, or previous trauma informed practice work and training.
This position requires strong team work, great communication, genuine care for children and a desire to make their lives better.
The CYW is responsible for:
- planning crafts, games, and activities for the children to take part in
- demonstrating positive behaviour while in the home
- communicating with the caregiver and the therapeutic supervisor to ensure consistency
- take part in additional training to inform work
- occasionally supervise children in the community
A therapeutic group home differs from the standard as caregivers are provided with additional training specific to the children's needs and caregivers are expected to be able to manage high needs behaviours such as trauma responses, PTSD, FASD, Autism, ADHD, and others.
- Prior experience working with children of all ages
- experience with children experiencing trauma, developmental delays, or diagnoses of FASD, Austism, and other neurological disorders.
- valid drivers licence with a clear abstract
- clear vulnerable sector check
- ability to work mainly evenings and weekends on a flexible schedule