The YKFM is hiring for two summer positions: Garden Coach & Garden Angel
We are open to hiring one person for both roles or hiring one coach and one angel. If you’re interested in both positions, please indicate that in your application.
Contract Title: Garden Coach Duration: April 1 - September 13, 2022 Contract: $3,000 ($30/hour based on 5 hours/week for 20 weeks)
Contract Title: Garden Angel Duration: June 7 - September 13, 2022 Contract: $1,875 ($25/hour for 5 hours per week for 15 weeks)
Scope of Work for the Garden Coach:
- provide expertise and mentorship to local growers interested in starting a garden or expanding their production, through YKFM social media feeds, gardening groups on Facebook, by email, or an in person garden visit.
- The GC can help with anything from plant identification and selection, to horticultural advice, all the way to garden planning and design.
- Following a garden visit, the GC will provide gardeners with a short report with helpful tips for making the improvements that were discussed during the visit.
- plan and coordinate a Lunch & Learn Series with local experts, producers or businesses to be offered monthly over the course of the growing/harvest season.
- answer gardening questions at Harvester Table during the weekly market which will run from June 7 to September 13.
- coordinate and distribute gardening tools/supplies to local growers in exchange for them providing the YKFM with their produce.
- The YKFM is starting a ‘Donate a Market Row’ program to attract new and past backyard gardeners to the Harvesters Table.
Scope of Work for the Garden Angel:
- communicate and coordinate with backyard gardeners who would like to sell their produce at the Harvesters Table
- maintain people’s gardens while they are on holidays in exchange for harvesting and selling their crops
- harvest fruit bearing trees, berry bushes and rhubarb as part of the Pick and Share Program
- prepare crops for sale as per EHO requirements
- in June, assist the Garden Coach (before people’s gardens start to produce).
- harvest produce from backyard gardens and bring their goods to the market on time
- keep track of each gardener’s harvest and what quantity and type of produce was brought to the table for sale
For full job descriptions, visit www.yellowknifefarmersmarket.ca/work
The YKFM is looking for an experienced gardener who knows a lot about plants and their care, and has experience growing in the North. The Garden Coach should be passionate, outgoing and a strong communicator. Experience with social media communications is an asset.
A Garden Coach is someone who not only has a passion for gardening, but also feels motivated to help other beginner and intermediate gardeners discover the pure and simple joy of growing and harvesting their own food.
The YKFM is looking for an individual who loves the outdoors and having their hands in the dirt. The GA supports the goal of increasing local food production in our community. Minimum experience in growing and harvesting produce is required. The right candidate needs to know enough about plant identification to harvest the right vegetable and do basic garden maintenance. The Garden Angel should be passionate, outgoing and a strong communicator. Training could be provided to the right person.