June 1st Start Date
Blachford Lake Lodge is an upscale Northern fly-in wilderness resort, located 100km east of Yellowknife in Canada’s Northwest Territories. In the heart of the Canadian wilderness, the lodge is comprised of 5 lodge rooms and 5 guest cabins. While at the lodge, guests can enjoy a variety of seasonal activities as well as the best Northern Lights viewing in the world. Winter guest activities include, but are not limited to cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, hiking, skating, ice fishing, hockey, handicrafts, wildlife tracks, aurora viewing and other winter activities. In the summer guest activities include, but are not limited to fishing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, shore lunches, fall aurora viewing, and hiking.
In the Guest Services & Bartender position, it is your job to make sure that every guest has an incredible and memorable stay at Blachford Lake Lodge. You are responsible for meeting the needs of every guest and group that arrives at the lodge. You are responsible for assisting with the lodge operations, including but not limited to guest services and activities, and working the evening bartending/overnight aurora shift.
It is your attention to details and commitment to first-class service and hospitality that will provide all guests with a superior Blachford Lake Lodge experience. You are passionate about Canada’s North, backcountry wilderness, eco-friendly and sustainable living practices, and you enjoy sharing experiences with guests. You make each guest feel welcome and strive to make them each feel special, comfortable, relaxed, safe, taken care of, and right at home. You recognize that each guest is an individual and has unique needs, values, and behavior styles. It is your mission to understand and learn about each guest on the site so that you can find ways to add value to their individual experience at Blachford Lake Lodge. You recognize that some guests may appear “high maintenance,” but you see these people as an opportunity for you to practice your patience and understanding so that you can contribute positively to their vacation.
You are a true people person yet thrive on the challenge of living in a remote, off grid location for long periods of time. You are adventurous and love the outdoors. You are an independent self-starter, a hard-worker and team player. You have an eye for detail and take the initiative to do whatever needs to be done to ensure that each guest has an incredible experience at Blachford Lake Lodge.
You will work closely with the Lodge Management Team, in partnership with the Yellowknife Office Staff to ensure that all guest services and activities are completed to a high standard.
- Make sure every aspect of the guest’s experience is incredible and memorable and interact with every guest in a friendly, professional, caring manner
- Operate (stock, clean, regulate, etc.) a licensed bar to international hospitality standards
- Take guest payments efficiently and sell additional tours and Blachford Lake Lodge merchandise to guests
- Complete bar inventory and communicate with the lodge manager on supplies/liquor that needs to be ordered
- Lead guests through craft/ group activities when required by lodge manager, such as spruce salve making, dream catcher making, trivia nights, etc.
- Make sure the hot tub and sauna are prepared for guests when requested (removing hot tub lid, communicating with the Systems Manager if it needs to be cleaned, lighting fire in the sauna, making sure the sauna is wiped down between guests and stocked with towels, etc.)
- Responsible for the overnight aurora watch and providing guests with a wakeup call as requested when the auroras are present (winter/fall season only)
- Welcome guests and groups to the lodge and give a full lodge orientation tour upon arrival (explain sustainable initiatives, bush safety, camp tour, activity schedule, water usage, lodge systems, library, equipment details, etc.) when required by the lodge manager
- Complete daily chores, housekeeping, and laundry, making sure everything is kept organized and clean
- Prepare bundles of sheets/prep supplies for plane days to help day staff with quick turnover of cabins/lodge rooms for guest
- Serve meals for guests and complete dishes after meals
- Help with tours when required by lodge manager
- Complete bar closing duties daily as well as kitchen closing duties, ensuring everything is put away and clean for the next days' operations
- Work with the lodge manager to schedule guest activities as well as update the daily information chalk board before the end of your shift so it is ready for guests in the morning
- Check first aid kits and medical supplies to make sure nothing is expired, and everything is in its place. Communicate any supplies needed to the lodge manager for ordering
- Complete other daily chores/tasks as required by the lodge manager (e.g. rolling up cutlery, front of house cleaning, etc.)
- 2+ year bartending/customer service
- Liquor Serving Certificate
- Wilderness first aid or higher
- Driver’s License (Class 5)
- Boat/Pleasure Craft License
- Chainsaw Operators License
- PAL/Firearms License
- Fall Protection Hazards Certificate
- Ice Safety and Rescue Certificate
- WHIMIS and MSDS Hazardous Waste Certificates
- Knowledge of POS System Operation and programming
- Knowledge of the surrounding area and the history of the lodge
- Criminal Record Check
- Previous experience working at a remote wilderness lodge considered an asset
- Previous experience working/living in circum-polar location considered an asset
- Ability to lift 30 lbs
- Ability to stand for long periods of time