START DATE: MAY 25, 2022
Blachford Lake Lodge is an upscale Northern fly-in wilderness resort, located 100km east of Yellowknife in Canada’s Northwest Territories. In the heart of the Canadian wilderness, the lodge is comprised of 5 lodge rooms and 5 guest cabins. While at the lodge, guests can enjoy a variety of seasonal activities as well as the best Northern Lights viewing in the world. Winter guest activities include, but are not limited to cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, hiking, skating, ice fishing, hockey, handicrafts, wildlife tracks, and other winter activities. In the summer guest activities include, but are not limited to fishing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, shore lunches, and hiking.
As the Head Chef on site, it is your responsibility to ensure that all guests and staff are fed healthy, well-rounded meals of a high standard from a well-managed, organized kitchen.
You will work closely, in partnership with the Lodge Manager, Sous-chef, and YK Expeditor to ensure that all daily tasks, meals, and meal planning are completed to a high standard, while ensuring the work environment is welcoming and maintaining a positive attitude.
Considering our open kitchen concept, good personal hygiene and communication with guests is important.
Prior experience: Applicants must have prior experience with menu planning, and supervising others in a culinary environment.
- Cook all meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Prepare weekly menus in accordance with BLL guidelines and the Canadian Food Guide
- Report to the Lodge Owner, and Lodge Manager
- Place weekly/seasonal food orders based on freight space available
- Monitor food storage, to ensure all food is handled with proper care and standards
- Keep all areas for food storage, preparation, and service food equipment maintained, clean, and free from dust and fumes with the assistance of lodge staff team
- Supervise kitchen helper(s) assigned by Lodge Manager to complete daily tasks
- Work, when necessary with another chef to assist in very busy times
- Ensure that all bread and snacks are freshly baked
- Use fresh supplies from our garden whenever possible
- Cook using local, northern ingredients whenever possible
- Use berries, spices, etc. from the land whenever possible
- Cater to dietary requests for guests when they arise
- Communicate personal scheduling in/outs with the YK Office Manager
- Communicate all concerns to the management team
- Co-ordinate your time off with the Lodge Manager
- Ensure that all guests and staff are eating healthy, well rounded meals, with snacks readily available for guests all hours of the day
- Converse with guests from time to time in a professional manner
- Support lodge manager and other departments as required
- Helping with dishes as requested by lodge manager
- Ensure equipment is maintaining the correct temperature, and food is prepared safely
- 3-5 years’ experience as a head chef/kitchen manager
- Experience with gluten-free, dairy free, vegan, and other dietary needs
- Extensive knowledge of menu planning and inventory control
- Excellent communication and supervisory skills
- Must be organized, a multitasker, and a good leader
- Problem solving is an asset
- The ability to work in a remote environment
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 20+ lbs
- Provincial or territorial food safe certification required
- Wilderness first aid considered an asset
- Love of the outdoors considered an asset
- Experience working in remote kitchens considered an asset
- Experience working in tourism operations considered an asset