The Native Communications Society of the NWT (NCS) is the territory’s premier Aboriginal Broadcaster with coverage across the entire territory and beyond. NSC boasts a team of creative, passionate, and talented individuals constantly searching for stories that inform and educate. CKLB, a division of NCS, delivers news, current affairs and diverse regional and cultural perspectives daily to our valued listeners in five Indigenous languages and English.
NCS is currently seeking an Indigenous Junior Journalist to work part-time in a fast-paced, creative environment in our production facility in Yellowknife, NWT.
If you have a nose for news, a voice for radio, and want to tell important community stories then CKLB is the place for you. CKLB is willing to train the right candidate with a strong desire to learn broadcast and web journalism.
Duties to include:
- Engage and develop community contacts
- A desire to sit and learn from Elders
- Connecting with Dene youth
- Write radio and web articles for CKLB
- Come up with story ideas and share in story meetings
- Share stories on social media platforms
- Other duties as assigned
- A love of traditional storytelling
- Knowledge about the Dene and other Indigenous cultures and languages of the NWT
- Knowledge of Indigenous language a strong asset
- Introductory knowledge of journalistic procedures
- Introductory knowledge of broadcast writing
- Introductory knowledge of photography equipment and techniques
- Some familiarity with audio and video editing software
- Good time management skills
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.