Janitorial Staff are expected to work as part of the NWT Resource Centre’s Community Services and Maintenance Team to provide janitorial services and some light maintenance duties to effectively fulfill its mission in the community.
This is a Full-time unionized position.
HOURS OF WORK: (Monday to Friday 6:30 am - 3 pm)
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
- Light Handyman repairs & maintenance
- Clean front entrance floors, doors and windows throughout the building
- Clean all washrooms.
- Sweep and mop floors
- Vacuum throughout the building
- Sweep and mop hallways and everywhere as needed
- Sweep and mop front and rear building stairwells
- Ensures proper paper products and cleaning supplies are supplied to washrooms and kitchen
- Follow set, schedule route for daily deliveries
- Load and organize product inventory
- Serve and/or monitor shelter lunch typically between 12:30 and 1:00 pm
- Post serving clean kitchen floors, wash dishes, wipe down tables and chairs, clean steam trays and change steam tray water
- Loading goods from various grocery stores to be delivered to the Salvation Army center
- Offloading merchandize at the center
- Ensure timely delivery of goods from grocery stores to the center
- Ensure that goods to be delivered are safe and secure
- Following the best practices for safety, both on the road and while loading or unloading a program vehicle
- Complete light or basic maintenance items, ie changing lights, swapping door knobs, installation of toilets & faucets, etc…
- Knowledge of cleaning and janitorial skills
- Class 5 Driver’s License is a requirement
- Clean driver’s abstract
- Food safety
- Understanding of: ABORIGINAL and Inuit cultures: ADDICTIONS: MENTAL health and other social issues.
- Effective communication in English both written and oral.
- Experience in performing maintenance and light repairs
- Acceptable criminal record check
Mission and Values Statement
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda Territory has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.