We are recruiting for a Janitor Supervisor at the Gahcho Kue Mine Site!
Under the supervision and direction of the Head Housekeeper, the Janitor Supervisor is a key member of the Bouwa Whee Catering team who is responsible for ensuring all Janitorial work is completed in a timely and efficient manner. If required, this position will assist the Janitorial staff in providing exceptionally clean and safe common areas for our guests.
- due to the current Covid-19 epidemic, the selected candidate will be required to work 4 weeks in until further notice.
- the point of pick up for this position is limited to the NWT only.
Industrial Relations/ Safety Requirements
- Must be fully knowledgeable in the safe and efficient operation of all equipment in the Janitorial area of operations, and ensure that all employees are trained in the proper use of all equipment.
- Must have a complete understanding of the proper use of all cleaning chemicals in the Janitorial area of operations, and understand the safety precautions necessary while using these products.
- Must have a complete understanding of WHMIS, the Hazard Identification Program, and Bouwa Whee’s Health and Safety Program, apply this knowledge in day-to-day work, and ensure that all members of the Housekeeping team follow safe work practices at all times.
- Must use required P.P.E. (Personal Protective Equipment) where necessary. All employees must be in possession of CSA Approved Safety Footwear. Bouwa Whee services will provide certain P.P.E. which must be worn as instructed in all areas and environments where required (such as safety goggles and rubber gloves). All employees have the right and the duty to refuse and not participate in any unsafe work.
- Create and maintain an effective department safety team.
- Ensure that Janitorial staff follows established safety regulations in the use of equipment and supplies at all times.
- Oversee regularly scheduled Safety, Toolbox, PASS and department organizational meetings, and provide valuable input to the Bouwa Whee Housekeeping team, to ensure the smooth operation of the Housekeeping Department.
- Properly maintain all Janitorial areas, and oversee the maintenance, care and use of supplies and equipment.
- Perform regular inspections of all common areas to ensure sanitation, order, safety and proper performance of assigned duties.
- Coordinate repair needs with the Camp Administration Clerk.
- Assist Head Housekeeper in preparing weekly orders for cleaning supplies along with products and equipment needs for cleaning and maintaining of all products for which they are responsible.
- Provide Head Housekeeper all necessary information regarding incidents and efficiency of the night’s operation to ensure that there is no change in service between shifts due to lack of communication.
- Assist in preparing an accurate and complete monthly inventory of all supplies and product in the Janitorial area of operation.
- Attend and be an active participant of the Daily Housekeeping / Janitorial Toolbox and PASS meeting.
- Review with Head Housekeeper any special needs or requests that may arise.
- Check and ensure that storage areas are well stocked with all necessary supplies and cleaning chemicals.
- Check to ensure that all equipment is clean and in good working and that any issues are addressed with the Head Housekeeper prior to starting the next shift. This includes arranging for repairs when necessary.
Daily Operational Duties:
- Administer daily toolbox meetings, and stretch and flex.
- Check Daily Housekeeping Log to ensure a complete understanding of the requirements of the night shift.
- Stock all supplies necessary for the night’s service (i.e. chemicals, paper supplies etc.).
- Check all machinery and equipment to ensure that all is in good working order to complete required duties efficiently and safely.
- Proceed with duties in the order that has been outlined by Head Housekeeper during training period, along with shift checklist.
- Make notes throughout shift of any problems or broken items and pass information on to Head Housekeeper.
- Before leaving area of responsibility, double check to ensure that all duties and responsibilities have been completed or that a note has been made in the Daily Log of any outstanding tasks or issues.
- Ensure the Janitorial storage area is clean and organized at all times.
- Be ready willing and able to full fill all reasonable related duties and or requests of the Head Housekeeper, Chef Manager and Client
Skills and Qualifications:
- Must have at least 1 year related experience in the janitorial field or related industry.
- Must be able to work independently and or little supervision.
- Supervisory skills and ability to lead a diverse, multicultural team.
- Strong communication and customer relations abilities required.
- Must have attention to details and follow checklists.
- Must be a team player and be able to work well with others.
- Must have current WHMIS certificate and keep it updated regularly.
- Must be able to work 12 hour shifts entirely on your feet, up and down stairs, in a fast paced environment.
- Be ready willing and able to full fill all reasonable related duties and or requests of the Head Housekeeper, Chef Manager and Client.
We thank all applicants for submissions, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Bouwa Whee delivers great food, housekeeping and accommodation management services under some of the world’s most challenging conditions. Because we are the North – 100 percent aboriginal owned and headquartered in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – we know what northerners want and how to deliver it. That’s why we’re the contractor of choice at Diavik, Gahcho Kué and Snap Lake, three of Canada’s premier mines.
For a list of all available Bouwa Whee Catering positions please click on the attached link: https://detoncho.bamboohr.com/jobs