Lead Hand – UG Mobile
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- Permanent employment which includes a huge range of additional benefits
- Based the Lac de Gras, NT mine site
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Lead Hand for the Underground Mobile Maintenance team to be responsible for coaching and mentoring a team; consisting of trades people and contractors, while performing work yourself.
This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated individual with heavy mobile mining equipment experience to work in a fast-paced environment and achieve our performance targets safely.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible. Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job
Reporting to the Supervisor, Mobile Maintenance, this role would support the mobile supervisor with day to day activities and also provide relief when the supervisor is on holidays or away. Located at the Lac de Gras Mine site, you will be working 12 hours per day shifts on a 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off rotational schedule in the interim (alternating night shift and day shift) with the potential that this changes to a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off rotation in the future, once the COVID-19 pandemic normalizes. You will be responsibilities for:
- Ensuring that the assigned Maintenance areas are kept neat and tidy and that all tools are properly maintained and stored;
- Coaching and mentoring crew trades people to ensure that jobs are done safely and efficiently, within the time frame allotted for the job;
- Coordinating with trades people to ensure that they maintain a good housekeeping standard within their designated areas of work;
- Engaging the crew in daily tool box meetings to identify safety hazards and method on how to control the hazards;
- Completing work orders for planned and unplanned daily maintenance tasks within the computerized maintenance management system (SAP);
- Complying with and promoting the health, safety and environment improvement action plan and all Diavik and Rio Tinto Standards;
- Liaising with the production and maintenance planning teams on both planned and break down equipment maintenance to optimize equipment availability.
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team;
- Interprovincial Journeyperson certification as a Heavy Duty Mechanic, Welder or Light Vehicles Mechanic
- Minimum 5 years of related experience in the heavy industrial setting;
- Experience working on the same equipment used at Diavik Diamond Mines preferred;
- Northwest Territories Mine Supervisor Certificate - Level 2;
- Experience with underground equipment operation;
- Knowledge of computer programs including common office software.
- Knowledge of CMMS systems (SAP) considered an asset
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, you’re thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive compensation
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Applications close on June 9th, 2021.
(Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)