Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Maintenance Technician supports the Managers of the core facilities with maintenance, repairs, upgrades, unit turnover, cleaning and landscaping at multiple properties. This includes common areas, units and exterior of the building. To ensure the functions, equipment and the overall aesthetics of the buildings are well maintained.
- Respond quickly in the event of an emergency and notify appropriate personnel and follow safety protocol.
- Oversee the surveying of buildings and equipment to ensure they maintain proper health and safety standards.
- Maintain and conduct repairs on all buildings equipment’s such as heating and cooling systems, plumbing systems, or electrical systems.
- Perform general aesthetic upkeep which can include painting, basic carpentry, or landscaping.
- Handle pest control issues by spaying insecticide or calling and coordinating with the appropriate professional.
- Inspect alarm systems, carbon dioxide and fire systems and quickly schedule repairs when needed.
- Implement preventative maintenance plans
- Organize and maintain supplies, tools, and workshops.
- Assist with grounds keeping, lawn mowing, weeding, snow removal, exterior clean up.
- Maintain and carry out a calendar of daily, weekly, monthly and annual maintenance and equipment checks or repairs.
- Assist in budget development and ensure it is followed.
- Prepare vacated units for new occupancy
- Perform routine maintenance in units.
- Assist in conducting unit inspections.
- Perform routine maintenance in common spaces.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of this position. Job descriptions will be reviewed/revised on an annual basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma
- 2-4 years of maintenance or related experience
- Ability to lift heavy objects up to 50lbs and should be in overall good physical health.
- Ability to solve basic problems that may arise on the job.
- Knowledge of electrical and plumbing systems in day-to-day tasks for the job
- Knowledge of boiler systems to perform daily maintenance and checks.
- Strong understanding of general maintenance processes and methods.
- Experienced in and a good working knowledge of yard maintenance equipment, small hand tools, larger power tools, common appliances, and devices.
- Ability to respond to emergencies in a timely manner and be able to prioritize important work.
- Ability to communicate any issues or problems to management while also being able to work with other staff members to get a particular job completed.
- Ability to organize calendars and appointments especially in relation to regular required maintenance.
- Ability to multitask and juggle a variety of appointments and requests at one time.
- Ability to work in different facilities in various areas to perform many different functions to keep the buildings in good standing
- Excellent manual dexterity and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good computer skills.
- Updated immunization and criminal records check.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 license. A good working vehicle is required, and a company vehicle is also available when needed.
The incumbent will work in high stressed environment and will have regular interactions with individuals who may be under the influence of substances and/or experiencing various struggles in their life. The incumbent will work with minimal supervision and must be able to self-direct and prioritize tasks.
The Maintenance Technician wage starts at $30.00 per hour with a top end of $35.00 per hour plus benefits as per the Yellowknife Women’s Society Policy and Procedure Manual.
The Maintenance Technician must be flexible to work as needed as defined within the program needs and labor laws. This position requires the incumbent to be on call and have weekend availability if needed. Mileage expense for personal vehicle use is paid at $0.62/km.
If this sounds like an opportunity for you please forward your cover letter and resume to email@example.com or apply through the on line application.
The Yellowknife Women’s Society is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity.