- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- Permanent employment which includes a huge range of additional benefits
- Located in Lac de Gras, the working schedule will be a 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off rotation
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Millwright to be part of our Surface Fixed Plant Asset Management department. The position is primarily based out of the process and backfill/crusher plants. The Fixed Plant Millwright is responsible for performing planned and breakdown installation and maintenance to the mechanical equipment in the various fixed plant environments around site in a safe, environmentally friendly and cost-effective manner to ensure that equipment availability is maximized. The key fixed plant areas of responsibility are the crusher/backfill plant and batch plant while supporting manpower requirements in the process plant.
This is a great opportunity for a motivated and experienced Millwright to learn and progress your career with the Diavik team.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible. Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
Reporting to the Fixed Plant Maintenance Supervisor, and working in a challenging and exciting environment within the maintenance, you will be responsible for:
- Installing new or overhauled equipment in a timely manner according to manufacturer’s recommendations
- Fabricating, overhauling, or modifying parts of equipment (e.g., cut, shape, machine, and weld) within time frames outlined in the maintenance schedule
- Performing preventative maintenance (e.g., oil, grease, adjust, clean, etc.) to achieve equipment availability greater than 90 percent
- Repairing equipment within planned time frames as indicated in work orders
- Conducting equipment inspections in response to Operator concerns or as outlined by the maintenance schedule and detect and diagnose troubles (e.g., vibration, heat, odour, abnormal instrument response)
- Entering detailed reports on maintenance, repairs, and diagnosis into the preventative and predictive maintenance database prior to the end of each shift
- Working and promoting safety within the processing plant
- Meeting your personal safety plan commitments
- Immediately reporting all incidents and accidents to your immediate supervisor
- Working to achieve or exceed the site and departmental safety goals
- Foster and develop a safety culture within the processing plant
- Use a safe working attitude when performing tasks
- Complete a JHA prior to performing
- Actively participate in the morning pre-start/LEAN meeting
- Complete other related work as assigned by the Fixed Plant Maintenance Mechanical Supervisor, Lead Hand, or Senior Managers
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team Interprovincial Red Seal Journeyperson Millwright certification
- Current St. John’s Ambulance Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR is an asset.
- Training on the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is an asset.
- At least 3 year of experience working as a Millwright in a mineral processing/crushing facility.
- Ability to install, maintain, overhaul and repair industrial equipment including MMD mineral sizers, cone crushers, jaw crushers, high pressure roll crusher, scrubbers, conveyors (conventional and high angle), slurry pumps, vibrating screens, and apron feeders.
- Ability to weld and fabricate would be considered an asset.
- Excellent oral, written and active-listening skills
- Highly effective organizational, time management and analytical skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive compensation
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Deadline to apply: May 28, 2021 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)