Mining Engineer, Integrated Mine Planning
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- Permanent employment which includes a huge range of additional benefits
- Located in Yellowknife, NWT
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Mining Engineer responsible for assisting with planning functions for the underground mine. This is a great opportunity for an individual with a good understanding of underground mining to assist in planning and engineering functions.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible. Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
Reporting to the Superintendent, Integrated Mine Planning, located at Lac de Gras Mine Site, you will working 12 hours per day shift on a 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off rotational schedule in the interim (alternating night shift and day shift) with the potential that this changes to a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off rotation in the future, once the COVID-19 pandemic normalizes. You will be responsible for:
- Managing the underground primary and secondary ventilation system, including projects, ventilation surveys, modelling, and long-range ventilation planning
- Assisting with draw control to achieve production targets and grade from sub-level cave orebodies
- Assist with other mine engineering work in the underground including short range planning, design, and drill & blast
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Mining Engineering degree from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Registered or ability to be registered with NAPEG
- 2+ years underground mine engineering experience
- Experience in underground operations is considered an asset
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive compensation
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Applications close on April 19, 2021 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)