As the Expediter, Logistics and Special Projects Coordinator, it is your responsibility to provide expediting services to ensure the timely purchase and supply of goods to a remote wilderness lodge. You will be responsible for the planning, booking and coordination of air charters to the lodge and assist in many aspects of services in Yellowknife to ensure the continued operations for the lodge. You will provide guest services at departures and arrivals at air charters. You will assist in related special projects as requested by the Lodge Owner.
You will work closely, in partnership with the Office Manager and Lodge Manager and other staff (BLL Team) and contractors to ensure that all tasks are completed to a high standard.
• Passionate about day to day work, bringing guests to the north, and being part of a growing team
• Self-Starter with a good work ethic
• Keen to learn new skills
• Hard-Worker available to potentially work flexible or long hours or variable days
• Team player able and happy to help in any type of situation, even if out of scope
• Positive attitude: Enthusiastic, friendly, adventurous, confident, dependable, professional
• Problem-Solver: Ability to take on any new task or challenge with a good attitude
• Ability to deal with the stress of multiple responsibilities often all at once.
• Quick learner
• Physically fit
• Highly organized
• Excellent communication
• Time management skills
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Receive orders from the Lodge Manager
• Purchase, order, package and label goods for the Lodge
• Liaise with a wide variety of vendors in Yellowknife and elsewhere
• Liaise with the Chef on grocery orders to provide delivery instructions to the vendor, confirm receipt and if needed purchase some grocery items.
• Provide information to the Lodge Manager on delays in supply of goods requested.
• Receive and deal with goods from the Lodge such as garbage, recycling, items for repair, water samples
• Assist in determining fuel needs in cooperation with the Lodge Owner and Lodge Manager
• Order fuels (propane, gas, diesel and pellets) in liaison with the Lodge Owner and Lodge Manager.
• Maintain inventory of fuels for space available on air charters.
• Monitor Excel Booking and Additional Notes spreadsheets from the Office to determine air craft needs
• Plan and book air charters based on information from the Office Manager, Lodge Manager and Lodge Owner
• Prepare passenger and freight manifests for air craft to send to Air Charter Companies and designated Lodge staff. Manifests to be done 48 hours prior to departure.
• Provide the BLL team with weekly air charter status emails especially for freight space available.
• Ensure efficient use of all air charters.
• Receive weather report from the Lodge Manager for the pilots.
• Provide Lodge Manager with actual departure time.
• Provide advice to the BLL Team on air charters such as choice of aircraft, freezeup and breakup, aircraft capacity, aircraft prices.
• Liaise with special groups for aircraft needs, logistics and expediting such as FOXY and Dechinta.
• Manage and maintain the inventory of winter clothing for guests traveling to the lodge in the winter
• Maintain order and cleaning in the winter clothing room
• Provide winter clothing at departure to guests or deliver to the guests’ hotel based on advance information on rental requests from the Office.
• Receive returned clothing and dry, maintain and clean including regular laundering of the small items (mitts, hats and neck warmers).
• Greet guests at air craft base and provide interpretive and informational comments to guests.
• Tag departing guest bags with Lodge room luggage tags
• Liaise with air charter staff, pilots and ramp staff for final manifests of passengers and freight.
• Assist guests to board the aircraft
• Greet returning guests’ air craft, provide local information, receive luggage and call taxis or liaise with other transportation services. On occasion, provide transportation for guests.
• Assist with booking additional touring and accommodation, when necessary (such as result from aircraft delays due to weather)
Contractor, Volunteer and Staff Services
• Liaise with incoming volunteers and staff to provide winter gear and information on air craft departures, accommodations in Yellowknife, information about Yellowknife and their pending Lodge experiences
• Liaise with the Lodge Owner, Volunteer Coordinator, Lodge Manager and Office Manager on space on aircraft for contractors, volunteers and staff for departures, returns and breaks in Yellowknife.
• Purchase or order goods as requested.
• Provide invoicing and payment requirements to vendors
• Driver’s License (Class 5)
• Safe drivers abstract
• Criminal record check
• Experience working in the tourism and hospitality industry
• Experience in expediting and logistics considered an asset
• Knowledge of handling for dangerous goods
• Computer literacy with excel, word and email
• Ability to lift 50 lbs
• Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time
• Ability to speak English fluently
• Previous experience working at a remote wilderness lodge considered an asset
• Previous experience working/living in Northern Canada considered an asset
• Fluency in a second language is considered an asset