Process Plant Operator
- Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- Permanent employment which includes a huge range of additional benefits
- Located at the Diavik Mine site in Yellowknife, NT
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Heavy Equipment Operator to be responsible for the operation and monitoring of the equipment within their designated area, by ensuring that safety is maintained and that production objectives are met.
This is a great opportunity for a Loader Operator is responsible for operating and monitoring the Mobile Equipment used on the ROM (Run of Mine) to ensure maximum plant throughput, through the operation and coordination of the ROM in a safe and efficient manner.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible. Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
Reporting to the Plant Operations Supervisor, this position will be based at the Lac De Gras mine site and will be working 12 hours per day shift on a 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off rotational schedule in the interim (alternating night shift and day shift) with the potential that this changes to a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off rotation in the future, once the COVID-19 pandemic normalizes. You will be responsible for:
- Completing assigned plant operation duties in designated areas within the Ore Processing, Recovery, Backfill plant and Batch plant;
- Operating various small loaders and miscellaneous equipment including but not limited to IT28, IT30, IT32, WA250, Bobcat, skid steer, forklift and light vehicle;
- Completing operational check rounds in designated sections of the plant and report findings to supervisor;
- Performing process plant clean-up and maintaining the cleanliness of the plant and equipment to a high standard;
- Adhering to Standard Operating Procedures for Plant Operation;
- Performing routine daily inspections of equipment and conduct daily start-up, shut-down checks of the mobile equipment and primary sizer;
- Ensuring basic operational maintenance tasks and repairs are completed within allotted time frames
- Completing log book entries, daily reports on delays, production, and safety issues before the end of each shift;
- Clearly communicating all production and safety related issue to team members and cross shift.
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Minimum 1 year operator experience in a Process Plant or Backfill Plant setting;
- Completion of Mining Training Society Mineral Processing Operator Technician Program or level 1 MIHR Mineral Processing Operator certification will be highly regarded;
- Ability to operate various pieces of equipment including the loader, bobcat, scissor lift and fork lift;
- Solid proficiency in reading and understanding manuals and written instructions;
- Ability to learn and understand technical procedures and information quickly;
- Ability to work in high stress situations and resolve issues;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team;
- Knowledge of computer programs including common office software.
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive compensation
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Application deadline: June 21, 2021
(Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)