Taylor Architecture Group (TAG) is a Northern-based architecture and engineering firm with a focus on community design work, especially for First Nation and Inuit communities, throughout the Far North.
We have an immediate opening for a Project Architect in Whitehorse, Yukon.
TAG’s head office is located in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Most of our senior personnel are based in Yellowknife and coordinate remotely with project teams in our satellite offices (Whitehorse and Ottawa). In total, we are a team of about 25, including architects, engineers, interior designers, and support staff. We are seeking an experienced architect to join our office in Whitehorse and provide support to 2-4 junior personnel in that location.
Taylor Architecture Group operates as a cohesive team. We focus on creating positive working relationships & mentorship opportunities, and maintaining open lines of communication – while developing design work through an iterative, integrated, and process-driven practice. The successful candidate will join an established network of designers and will contribute management/mentorship skills to support the success of ongoing projects. Ideally, this person will be enthusiastic about teamwork and will foster positive relations with client groups, while being technically proficient in their field.
Project work ranges through large-scale civic, educational, and institutional facilities, as well as smaller-scale commercial or residential projects. TAG’s Yukon projects are located in Whitehorse and in several small, remote communities; short-term travel will be a requirement of the position.
For examples of our work, visit https://tagyk.com.
Length of Contract:
This is a full time (37.5 hr/week), permanent position located in Whitehorse, Yukon.
A moving expense stipend will be provided by TAG. Temporary housing is available upon arrival in Whitehorse until the candidate secures permanent housing.
Salary and benefits:
Salary and benefits to be commensurate with experience; full benefits package available.
Yukon requires a 2 week self-isolation period upon arrival for anyone who is relocating here from outside the territory. If necessary, this will be completed with a remote work setup during the candidate’s isolation period. Please identify with your application if you would be relocating from outside of the Yukon.
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and portfolio to email@example.com.
- Act as Project Architect for a variety of involvements in Yukon communities
- Lead and assist with production of architectural construction drawings including site plans, plans, elevations, sections and details
- Coordinate other disciplines including interior designers, engineers, contractors and other consultants
- Work in a supportive manner to develop the capacity of junior staff
- Undertake project research including cultural, site, and material investigations
- Work will include occasional travel to remote communities in the arctic and sub-arctic; candidate should be comfortable with travel in small airplanes
- Licenced Architect with a provincial or territorial association with minimum 6 years of experience
- Experienced with construction documentation, contract administration, and project management for design and construction involvements
- Strong interpersonal and management skills; enthusiasm for a team-based process
- Strong communication skills; fluent in written and spoken English
- Excellent knowledge of national building codes and standards
- Knowledge and comfort with AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office programs are required
- Familiarity and experience with Revit and Sketchup are an asset
Taylor Architecture Group is a northern design firm founded in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
We live and work in a unique region. Our projects respond to the conditions of the far north: an extreme climate with variable daylight hours, vast distances between remote communities, and a diverse cultural landscape. Over the decades we’ve spent getting to know this territory, TAG has built an integrated design practice that provides focused services for northerners. Our process encourages community participation, creates local employment opportunities, and celebrates cultural and artistic practices — while developing technically-sound, sustainable building solutions for each site and climate.
The firm was founded by Gino Pin in Yellowknife in 1983. Simon Taylor joined in 1994, became a partner of Pin-Taylor Architects in 2002, and became the sole owner of Taylor Architecture Group in 2014. Building on a legacy of almost forty years, TAG is one of the longest-standing architecture firms in northern Canada. We have recently expanded to locations in Whitehorse and Ottawa to better serve our clientele.