Habitat for Humanity Northwest Territories (Habitat NWT) is hiring a Construction Coordinator to assist the Build Chair in all aspects of home builds in Yellowknife and other NWT communities and coordinate construction of these homes. The Project Coordinator reports to the Build Chair. The position is part-time, and hours may fluctuate throughout the year depending on build requirements. Previous experience in the construction industry is essential.
Terms of Employment:
Part-time (20-25 hours weekly)
About Habitat NWT
Habitat for Humanity Northwest Territories is committed to building strength, stability, and self-reliance by providing opportunities for affordable homeownership. We partner with working families in need of an affordable, safe and secure place to live and enable their family’s ability to thrive. Habitat NWT constructs our homes using contractors, vendors, and volunteers, primarily with single family modular homes. We’re seeking someone with experience in the construction sector to use their skills to make a difference in their community through the oversight and construction of Habitat homes.
The general overall duties and responsibilities of the Project Assistant/Construction Coordinator are to assist the Build Chair in all aspects of the Habitat for Humanity NWT builds. The summary of these duties are as follows:
- Obtaining build permits and ensuring permitting requirements are met and that houses are built to code and pass inspection
- Solicits and reviews bids for subcontractors as needed and appropriate
- Solicits and documents in-kind donations of materials and labour as required
- Schedules and monitors subcontractor and inspector activities to ensure timely and accurate project completion.
- Planning and scheduling of construction schedules
- Ensures contractors and visitors to build site follow safety protocols
- Project Buyout
- Site visits
- Quality Control and Quality Assurance
- Cost Control
- Other duties related to site selection, lot preparation, obtaining materials and construction as outlined by the Build Chair
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications & Experience:
- Preferred educational requirements include: A Technical School graduate in a Construction related discipline or a trades person or project coordinator with multiple years of experience in construction related activity.
- The ability to read, understand and interpret technical drawings and specifications.
- The ability to assist in planning and developing builds and the monitoring of project schedules.
- Complete detailed task and follow through on assigned tasks.
- Maintain positive and collaborative relationship with the build partners.
- Experience fostering on-going professional relationships.
- Adhere to Habitat for Humanity’s Policy and Procedures.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- The ability to efficiently assist and administer multiple tasks.
- Experience in the NWT construction industry an asset.