- Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- Permanent employment which includes a huge range of additional benefits
- Located at the Diavik Mine site in Yellowknife, NT
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are currently looking for a Project Coordinator, to carry out duties required for the day-to-day planning and operations of the Projects Team at the Diavik Diamond Mine Site.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible. Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
Reporting to the Construction Superintendent, this position is located at the Lac de Gras Mine site, you will be working on a 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off rotation in the interim rotational schedule on a 12 hours per shift day, with the potential that this changes to a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off rotation in the future, once the COVID-19 pandemic normalizes. Working collaboratively with all operational and functional departments, you will be responsible for:
- Providing HSE leadership to ensure the safety of employees and contractors while protecting the environment
- Providing day-to-day operational, technical, and engineering support to construction supervisors and superintendents, engineering, projects controls, and other members of the Projects Team
- Provide support to design, develop, and execute the project plans, schedules, progress monitoring, testing, and commissioning plans
- Assessment, evaluation and resolution of technical and operational issues that may arise during project design, construction, and commissioning stages
- Assist in supporting the engagement and performance of contractor management, to ensure integrated and complete deliverables meet project and contractual requirements
- Build and maintain positive and effective working relationships with all stakeholders
- Facilitate project drumbeat meetings and risk assessments and manage resulting actions
- Applying theoretical project management concepts to assist in managing live construction projects for the full project life cycle
- Organize and develop project scope of work, request for information, meeting minutes, issues, contract documentation, etc.
- Utilize strong written and oral communication skills for all project correspondence and communication
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and relational skills to assist the Projects Team in ensuring successful project execution
- Producing technical reports, construction completion reports, and hand-over packages
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- 3-5 years Industrial Experience
- Demonstrated experience in project coordination and/or management
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with cross-functional disciplines to coordinate tasks
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and stakeholder engagement, with ability to understand and translate plans and technical information to target audience
- Sound understanding of civil, mechanical, and electrical construction is an asset
- Experience in underground mining considered an asset
- Proactive and self-driven towards multiple tasks while working on multiple projects
- Proficiency in MS Office, SAP experience is an asset
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive compensation
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Application deadline: June 8, 2021
(Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)