Ecology North is looking for a Public Outreach Project Officer to join our team.
The successful candidate will plan, organize, and deliver Ecology North events and communication materials relating to diverse environmental initiatives in the realms of climate change adaptation and mitigation, local food production, waste reduction, water stewardship and nature appreciation. Our Public Outreach Project Officer needs to be motivated, highly productive, and a self-starter.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by Friday, 21st October by e‐mail or in person to:
Ecology North email@example.com 867‐873-6019 5016 50th Ave, Yellowknife NT, X1A 2P3
To view the full job listing please click here.
Your main responsibilities will include planning, organizing and delivering environmental events, as well as developing communications materials on a variety of subjects and promoting waste reduction, water stewardship, local food production and nature appreciation. Projects include but are not limited to Earth Week 2023, outdoor winter events, and the Young Leaders’ Summit on Northern Climate Change 2023.
The Public Outreach Project Officer will also write grant proposals for future events, and will have the opportunity to provide direction for future programming.
Education and Work Experience:
A university or college degree in a related field and a minimum of 1 year of event planning is required. Experience in the North is an asset. Equivalents will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A strong ability to develop working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, both written and oral. The job involves developing communication materials, educational resources, reports, and public releases.
- A successful track record planning, and delivering, activities for youth;
- Graphic design experience: Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, other if applicable;
- A good understanding of environmental issues and how they relate to the NWT at the regional, territorial, national, and global level;
- Broad knowledge in two or more of the following fields and specific knowledge and skills in at least one of: waste reduction, local food production, climate change mitigation and adaptation, water stewardship, environmental education;
- Experience working on community projects with multiple partners;
- Excellent computer literacy skills, including word processing and spreadsheets; and
- An understanding of financial documents including agreements, budgets, invoices, receipts, and reports.
- Experience working in the north and making connections in communities outside of Yellowknife;
- Skills and aptitudes in technology such as troubleshooting computers, printers, server, and modem issues;
- Experience coordinating events and volunteers;
- An understanding of the tools a non-profit organization can use to affect individual, societal or governmental change;
- Experience in website design and maintenance: experience with Google Drive, WordPress; and
- A valid driver's license.
- Interest in learning about environmental issues is crucial. You are not expected to know everything about our focus areas, but you must be open and excited about learning;
- Be able to work occasional evening and weekend hours with notice;
- Be able to travel and work outside of Yellowknife, on occasion; and
- Willingness to conduct general office administration as required.
Ecology North is a charitable, non-profit organization formed in 1971 to support sound environmental decision-making on an individual, community and regional level. Our mission is to bring people and knowledge together for a healthy northern environment. We are located in downtown Yellowknife, and have a mandate to work throughout the NWT and northern Canada.