CBC North is seeking our next Announcer/Operator, for the Northwest Territories’ weekday Chipewyan language radio program, Denesuline Yatia is southern NWT’s weekday Chipewyan language radio program, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. MT broadcast on CBC Radio One. The program provides news and information for the Denesoline (Chipewyan) communities in NWT, AB, SK and MB.
The program informs listeners about issues affecting their communities. In this role you will find, research, prepare and present interviews, news stories and host radio program content in the Chipewyan language.
You will be working in a deadline-driven environment that requires close cooperation and consultation with other staff, while adhering to CBC's Journalistic Standards and Practice.
● Plans and organizes programs or program segments, ensures the preparation of material for broadcast.
● Proposes program ideas, lines up guests or interviewees, prepares background notes and questions, and conducts interviews on or off air.
● Writes material for broadcast.
● Develops and maintains contacts with diverse community sources.
● Evaluates information gathered, organizes it and presents it on air.
● Edits program material.
● Interacts with program participants such as guests, interviewees, panelists and/or members of the audience. Uses interviewing skills to elicit pertinent facts and information.
● Provides narration and linking continuity between program segments.
● Ensures the proper operating condition of equipment.
● Ensures that program audio mixes achieve optimum aural results.
As required, performs the following tasks:
● Participate in community relations activities to promote the CBC.
● Direct a program or program segment in studio or at a remote location.
● Maintain an appropriate level of communication with members of the audience.
● Archive programs and program scripts and lineups.
● Perform incidental technical functions necessary to ensure the smooth and continuous functioning of the station.