The FFC Respite Program provides child care services to foster families in all communities of the NWT. Initially, the program was in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency and now it continues to offer regular and emergency respite. We are looking to hire people who can be available to work 1) full-time, 2) part-time, and 3) on-call. Most available positions will be on-call.
Provide regular relief and support to foster caregivers. Responsible for engaging with children and youth and implementing activities that are fun, educational, and therapeutic. Respite workers will be working directly with one or a small group of children in care, who may range in age from newborn to 11 years old. Workers may be asked to work alone or with one other worker, depending on the number of children in the household.
***If willing and able to have a home check done, respite can be offered from within your home. Otherwise, respite will be held at various locations around Yellowknife (caregiver's homes, parks, recreational centres, etc.).
Hours may vary. Starting asap, or on call . Compensation: $24 / hour
send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Always begin work with a safety meeting with the children, to talk about hand washing, not touching their face, staying 2 meters from everyone outside, etc.
- Remind all kids to wash hands regularly throughout the day
- Engage with children at all times; be open, communicative, and supportive
- Ensure children are supervised at all times
- Lead activities with enthusiasm and energy. Activities may include playing outside, doing crafts, playing cards, group games, reading, or watching a movie
- Follow the daily schedule
- Respect all equipment and facilities, and ensures proper care, use, and maintenance of them
- Prepare/set-up/supervise games and activities
- Communicate with foster caregivers throughout the day
- Ensure all spaces are cleaned and sanitized at the end of each day
- First Aid and CPR Certificate is an asset
- Excellent communication skills and ability to motivate and work with others
- Enthusiasm and desire to work with children and make a positive impact on their life
- Knowledge of northern cultures
- Experience working with children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) an asset
- Complete criminal record check with vulnerable sector already completed is an asset, or willingness to receive one