The primary responsibility of this role is to supervise the execution of tasks necessary to drive sales, including freight flow, merchandise standards, inventory and replenishment procedures in all areas of the store. Required to take an active role in maximizing sales in office supplies and ensuring complete customer satisfaction. Assesses and evaluates direct reports, and takes a lead role in providing guidance, training and coaching on company initiatives, sales programs and product knowledge to maximize sales and earnings. This associate will also have keyholder responsibilities (open and closing the store) and will perform Manager on Duty shifts.
· Actions procedures to uphold company merchandising standards, including current pricing, signage, plan-o-grams, promotional planners, ad set-ups and displays.
· Accountable for product flow to the sales floor, replenishment of merchandise and organization of midstocks and overstocks.
· Facilitates and/or participates in all cycle count processes as specifically outlined by company policies and procedures.
· Responsible for the out of stock procedures to maintain replenishment.
· Accountable for the input and integrity of appropriate paperwork. Responsible to forward for approval to appropriate manager and/or home office.
· Take a lead role in preparing for inventory count(s), participate in the inventory taking process, and follow up on variances.
· Oversees the coordination and execution within the receiving area and maximizes department productivity.
· Maintains and sustains an efficient filing system for all relevant paperwork as per company standards.
· Accountable for the execution of the return to the vendor (RTV) and Ebay process.
· Where applicable, coordinates the recycling programs including toner, ink, batteries and electronics.
· Where applicable, coordinates fulfillment centre receiving.
· Partners with management to set sales goals and targets. Ensures team understands connection between store financial success and bonus programs.
· Leads, promotes and coaches selling and cultivates an inspired selling culture with aisles associates.
· Maximizes sales opportunities by leveraging the sales capabilities of associates by using current selling techniques and company programs.
· Accountable for the prevention and resolution of customer issues by ensuring a high level of customer service is provided by associates.
· Participates in the recruitment, hiring and onboarding processes.
· Accountable for training and coaching associates.
· Partners with management to execute Performance Development Reviews (PDR’s) in a timely manner, ensures action plans are in place and follows up on development of associates.
· Partners with management to performance manage direct reports including documentation.
· Participates in the Manager on Duty program.
· Responsible for closing and opening of the store.
· Ensures associates check and understand all sources of communication for information (white boards, bulletin boards, portal, etc).
· Accountable to understand general company policies and provide guidance to staff as needed.
· Has a complete understanding of all company policies and procedures related to this position, as outlined in the training checklist.
· Identifies and communicates suggestions for improvements in all areas of business.
· Ensures the execution and maintenance of process excellence standards and initiatives.
· Ensures the general cleanliness of workstations, lunchroom and washrooms according to company standards is maintained.
· Promotes and maintains a safe working environment and follows all company protocols for safety and is required to report any unsafe working conditions to a manager.
· Keys out store-use and merchandise as requested.
LOSS PREVENTION / PRIVACY
· Follows proper store opening and closing procedures, including alarm checks and security walks.
· Proactively models and ensures team's understanding of and adherence to all privacy policies and procedures.
· Models and ensures team properly secures company assets and physical inventory and follows all loss prevention and key control procedures.
· Assists in maintaining inventory related procedures to ensure SKU integrity and prevent shrink.
· As per policy, required to have personal parcels (bags, totes, backpacks, purses, etc.) checked by a manager prior to leaving the store premises. As a keyholder, this position is required to verify bag checks.
· 3-4 Years of Retail customer service is preferred.
· 1-2 years in a supervisory role with direct accountability for achieving sales and service targets is preferred.
· Successful completion of high school is preferred.
We are The Working and Learning Company. We inspire people to work smarter, learn more and grow every day. We are here to be a trusted ally, a resource and a sounding board, motivated to support our customers with expert knowledge, unique products and innovative services from Solutionshop, made for the changing needs of today’s entrepreneurs, teachers, parents and students.
Founded in 1991, Staples Canada is a privately-held company based in Richmond Hill, Ontario, with a network of over 300 stores across Canada.
So what’s it like to work at Staples? Exciting. Fun. Collaborative. Encouraging. Diverse. We’re on a journey to become The Working and Learning Company – a company that’s committed to be a dynamic, inspiring partner for all our customers.
We are passionate about the work we do, and we bring it to life with the incredibly talented and inclusive community we have built. Our culture is based on the values and behaviours that we exhibit every day.