Northwestel is actively seeking enthusiastic support technicians to join its growing External Service Desk. Technicians will have the opportunity to work on a variety of telecommunications platforms supporting leading edge technology while playing a critical role in the success of our organization.
Reporting to the Manager, External Service Desk, this position handles inbound and outbound inquiries about technology repair, replacement and problem resolution. The incumbent demonstrates empathy while dealing with challenging situations and working in a fast-paced environment. This role requires excellent troubleshooting aptitude to assess and resolve customer needs in a timely manner.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
- Deliver exceptional customer experience while using Northwestel tools and support systems to maximize first contact resolution.
- Receive, log and answer customer requests and issues via phone and email.
- Troubleshoot and resolve customer inquiries and initiate corrective action by walking user through the solution or remote access of the user’s device. This may include functionality, configuration and connectivity.
- Analyze requirements and devise test scenarios to validate internet and telephone connectivity against expected behavior and quality standards.
- Provide follow-up customer contact to ensure satisfactory resolution.
- Monitor incidents and escalate to management when required; incidents not being action in a timely manner.
- Available to work a flexible shift rotation (including evenings, weekends and statutory holidays) in an environment operating 7 days a week.
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum two-year technical diploma in telecommunications or computers at a recognized technical institute.
- Must have excellent English oral, comprehension and written communication skills and ability to convert technical terms into everyday language to ensure understanding.
- Good understanding of network technologies, topologies, and protocols (TCP/IP, DSLAM/CMTS, SMTP, SNMP, IP Multicast, IP allocation & IP blacklisting, DNS) including common IP-based tools (FTP, telnet, ssh, voice and data terminal emulator).
- Experience in diagnosing, documenting & troubleshooting issues spanning multiple technologies.
- Participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement, as well as, ensuring all safety training is kept current.
- Timely completion of all administrative tasks including, but not limited to time reporting, expense reporting and submission of corporate card statements.
- As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take
pre-employment tests and/or complete work simulation exercise to assess job fit.
- Cisco CCNA and/or CCNP certification or Comptia Network+ certification.
- 12-18 months of experience in a Service Desk, Technical Support or similar role.
- Experience with wireless (or wired) modems & routers in troubleshooting/configuration.
- Knowledge of telecom carrier services and technologies including LNP, DMS-100, CS-1500, CS2K, SS7, PRI, and ISDN.
- Telecommunication experience and customer service or helpdesk certification training.
- Experience using an incident tracking system.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.