Bush Order Provisions Ltd. is hiring a full-time sourdough bread baker.
We are looking for an individual passionate about naturally-leavened breads with a keen interest in being a part of a small family-run business. We have a strong commitment to the success of the business and to the physical, social health and wellness of our community. Our operation encompasses a wholesale bakery, a once-a-week Farm Store, and an abundant market garden where local fruit and vegetables are sold alongside our baked goods, or incorporated into them.
Visit our website http://bushorder.ca/ for more information on Bush Order and its owners and operators.
We are looking for a full-time individual to execute the regular production of our primary bread products on a weekly basis. The position requires a commitment of four (4) 10-hour a day shifts from approximately 6:00 am to 4:00 pm.
We strive to offer a healthy and friendly work environment. During periods this position will require working alone and unsupervised, while at other times work with a small team of people. The goal is a collaborative space where all members of the team offer each other a helping hand where needed.
As a sourdough baker of primary baked products, you will be responsible for following set recipes and procedures, sourdough starter management, scaling, mixing, kneading, shaping, scoring and baking various styles of breads. You will also be involved in ingredients and supply inventory management, packaging, cleaning, and operating bakery equipment in a safe manner. You will assist in maintaining all quality, cleanliness and merchandising standards. Experience with a liquid sourdough starter is preferred.
- 4-day/week shift
- 10-hour days
- Full-time hours: 40 per week
Tasks that you can be expected to perform. More detail will be provided to candidates selected for an interview.
- Mixing daily dough for next day’s bake;
- Baking previous day’s cold-proofed dough;
- Working with deck oven and convection oven
- Baking variety of artisan loaves, sandwich bread, bagels, focaccia, pizza, etc.;
- Managing Bulk Fermentation;
- Dividing and shaping dough;
- Proofing at room temperature;
- Carrying out cold proofing;
- Packaging and labelling daily orders;
- Maintaining liquid sourdough starter;
- Weighing out next day’s flour;
- Ensuring cleanliness of kitchen space and equipment on a daily basis.
- Understanding or willingness to understand baker’s percentage;
- Understanding of sourdough culture;
- Willingness to adapt production based on varying factors (ie. in-season produce/herbs)
- Familiarity with a variety of flours will be considered an asset;
- Ability to lift 20kg comfortably;
- Ability to be on your feet for long hours at a time;
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks daily;
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers.
- Minimum 1-year professional scratch baking experience preferred. Willing to train the right candidate.
Please include a resume and a cover letter telling us a bit about yourself! We will only contact those selected for an interview
Apply through our website at https://bushorder.ca/employment/
Applications accepted until the position is filled.