Bush Order Provisions Market Garden and Bakery is hiring a full-time sourdough bread baker. Having moved from a small home-based operation, Bush Order has officially completed the build of its new commercial operation in the Kam Lake area of Yellowknife. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual passionate about naturally-leavened breads with a keen interest in being a part of a small family-run community-minded business. We have a strong commitment to the physical and social health and wellness of our community. Our operation encompasses an abundant market garden where local fruit and vegetables are sold alongside our baked goods, or incorporated into them. As an expanding business, we are looking for an individual with a creative imagination to join our team and grow with us!
Visit our website https://bushorder.ca/ for more information on Bush Order and its owners and operators.
We're ideally looking for someone to fill a full-time role but are open to providing a part-time position for the right person. We offer a healthy and friendly work environment. Our work is collaborative and all members of our team offer each other a helping hand where needed.
As a sourdough baker, you will be responsible for fermentation, scaling, mixing, kneading, hand-crafting, shaping and scoring various styles of breads and baking according to recipes. Bush Order uses certified organic flour milled to order from Saskatchewan in all of our products. You will also be involved in product development, prepare production schedules, rotate ingredients and supplies, and operate bakery equipment. You will assist in maintaining all quality, cleanliness and merchandising standards. Experience with a liquid sourdough starter is preferred.
- Day shift
- Weekends on rotation
- Full-time hours: 40 per week
Tasks that you can be expected to perform. More detail will be provided to candidates selected for an interview.
- Weighing out flour and mixing daily dough for next day’s production;
- Shaping and scoring a variety of breads and doughs;
- Maintaining liquid sourdough starter;
- Carrying out cold proofing;
- Carrying out daily baking of product lineup:
- Variety of artisan loaves, sandwich bread, bagels, focaccia, baguettes, pizza, etc.
- Ensuring cleanliness of kitchen space and equipment on a daily basis;
- Packaging and labeling daily orders.
- Understanding or willingness to understand baker’s percentage;
- Understanding of sourdough culture;
- Willingness to adapt production based on varying factors (ie. in-season produce/herbs)
- Familiarity with a variety of flours will be considered an asset;
- Ability to lift 20kg comfortably;
- Ability to be on your feet for long hours at a time;
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers.
- Minimum 1 year professional scratch baking experience preferred. Exceptions can be made for the right candidate.
Please include a resume and a cover letter telling us a bit about yourself! We will only contact those selected for an interview
Apply through our website at https://bushorder.ca/employment/
Applications accepted until August 31st, 2021m at 11:59 PM MST