START DATE: June 1st, 2022
Blachford Lake Lodge is an upscale Northern fly-in wilderness resort, located 100km east of Yellowknife in Canada’s Northwest Territories. In the heart of the Canadian wilderness, the lodge is comprised of 5 lodge rooms and 5 guest cabins. While at the lodge, guests can enjoy a variety of seasonal activities as well as the best Northern Lights viewing in the world. Winter guest activities include, but are not limited to cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, hiking, skating, ice fishing, hockey, handicrafts, wildlife tracks, and other winter activities. In the summer guest activities include, but are not limited to fishing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, shore lunches, and hiking.
As the Sous-Chef, it is your responsibility to assist the Head Chef to ensure that all guests and staff are fed healthy, well-rounded meals of a high standard from a well-organized kitchen. The Sous-Chef supports the Head Chef, is a team player, and is comfortable working on their own.
You will work closely, in partnership with the Head Chef to ensure that all daily tasks, meals, and meal planning are completed to a high standard, while ensuring the work environment is welcoming and maintaining a positive attitude.
Considering our open kitchen concept, good personal hygiene and communication with guests is important.
Prior experience: Applicants must have prior experience with menu planning, and supervising others in a culinary environment.
- Supports chef and fills in on the Head Chefs day off, usually alone
- Cooking breakfast and lunch, prepping the daily treats, breads, and desserts for guests
- Help the Head Chef with the lunch and dinner preparations
- Manage your time well, and prepare food on time for the lodge meal schedules
- Coordinate the menu with the Head Chef, paying attention to dietary needs
- Help with cleaning dishes, kitchen, panty, and other areas
- Keep the fridges and freezers organized
- Complete weekly inventory as needed
- Monitor food storage, to ensure all food is handled with proper care and standards
- Keep all areas for food storage, preparation, and service food equipment maintained, clean, and free from dust and fumes with the assistance of lodge staff team
- Cater to dietary requests for guests when they arise-Must be comfortable with a variety of cooking techniques and styles
- Communicate all concerns to the management team
- Co-ordinate your time off with the Lodge Manager
- Ensure that all guests and staff are eating healthy, well-rounded meals, with snacks readily available for guests at all hours of the day
- Converse with guests from time to time in a professional manner
- Support lodge manager and other departments as required
- Helping with dishes as requested by lodge manager
- Ensure equipment is maintaining the correct temperature, and food is prepared safely
- 2+ years’ experience in a culinary environment
- Experience with gluten-free, dairy free, vegan, and other dietary needs
- Knowledge of menu planning and inventory control
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be organized and a multitasker
- Problem solving is an asset
- The ability to work in a remote environment
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 20+ lbs
- Provincial or territorial food safe certification required
- Wilderness first aid considered an asset
- Love of the outdoors considered an asset
- Experience working in remote kitchens considered an asset
- Experience working in tourism operations considered an asset