Hiring three summer students under this position title.
The Camp Leader will be responsible for a group of ten youth, alongside two summer students. The role of the Leader is to build relationships, facilitate camp activities/programs, and ensure youth needs are being met while they are attending programs. All Leaders will work cooperatively and effectively with staff, guest facilitators, and volunteers, and will be overseen by a Camp Director. Day camps will be broken up into three separate age categories; Glitter Bugs (5-9 years old), Cool Cats & Kittens (8-12 years old), and Rad Jazz Unicorns (11-14 years old). Each week will have a different age category.
- Participate in staff training and orientation
- Assist with load-in of supplies and preparation
During Camp Sessions
- Engage with youth at all times; be open, communicative, and supportive
- Ensure youth are supervised at all times
- Participate in activities with enthusiasm and energy
- Use skills learned in training, redirect youth to Camp Director as needed
- Assist with additional tasks as needed
- Adhere to the program plan, and contribute creativity, flexibility and ingenuity
- Respect all equipment and facilities, and ensures proper care, use, and maintenance of them
- One-on-one supervision as necessary
- Help prepare/set-up/supervise games and activities as needed
- Assist with the tear-down of camp
- Preparing an accurate and organized inventory of craft, sport, first aid and other supplies
- Participate in end of season debrief and evaluation
The Rainbow Coalition of Yellowknife is an organization governed by mostly youth, and therefore are prioritizing hiring people who our organization recognizes as youth (people under 30). As a portion of the funding for these jobs comes from Canada Summer Jobs, we have a strict age limit. Preference will also be given to applicants who self-identify as Black, First Nations, Inuit, Metis, and/or another racialized community, and/or as living with a disability.
- Be 15 to 30 years old
- Excellent communication skills and ability to motivate and work with others
- Summer camp experience is an asset
- Enjoys working and building rapport with children and youth from five to 14 years old
- Knowledge of Northern communities, cultures, and trauma informed care is an asset
- Must be comfortable swimming and supervising children in a pool or lake
- Criminal Record Check + Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Personal, lived understanding of 2SLGBTQIA+ identity is preferred but not required
Rainbow Coalition of Yellowknife (RCYK) is dedicated to creating a safer space for LGBTQ2S+ youth through:
raising awareness about LGBTQ2S+ issues and identities;
helping LGBTQ2S+ youth build confidence;
supporting parents of LGBTQ2S+ youth to accept, understand and love their children;
providing advice or support to community agencies and organizations about LGBTQ2S+ issues;
advocating for a safer and more equitable territory for LGBTQ2S+ youth, and;
operating a Rainbow Youth Centre in Yellowknife.