The employee provides resident support services, on-site supervision and security for the NWT Resource Centre under the direction of the Shelter Supervisor
The Shelter Worker will assist with service user assessment, care planning, and care delivery in the Men's Emergency Shelter.
This will include recording admission information, observing, reporting, and recording behavior, orienting service users to the facility, and completing concise and accurate documentation.
Other duties include the support and reinforcement of case management decisions and directions, to conduct building security checks, provide appropriate crisis intervention, communicate a non-judgmental attitude towards clients, as well as support, coach, and encourage service users.
- Post-secondary education or related experience in social services
- Effective interpersonal communication in English, both written and oral
- Effective assessment, observation, and documentation skills
- Ability to implement policy and procedure
- Ability to work within a teamwork structure and will be required to work alone
- Understanding of Indigenous and Inuit cultures; addictions, mental health, and other social issues
- Conflict Resolution, First Aid, Verbal Judo and/or NVCI, Suicide Intervention, Mental Health First Aid are all an asset
- Acceptable Criminal Records Check required (Internal Applicants need not provide)
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda Territory has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.