- Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety
- Established supportive team environment
- Work with exceptional team of technical experts – Yellowknife
About the role
We are looking for a Truck Shop Mechanic to be responsible for repairing heavy mining equipment in a safe, environmentally friendly, and cost-effective manner to ensure equipment availability is maximized.
Located in Lac de Gras Mine site and reporting to the Mobile Maintenance Supervisor, you will be working on a 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off rotation in the interim (alternating night shift and day shift) rotational schedule on a 12 hours per shift, with the potential that this changes to a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off rotation in the future, once the Covid-19 pandemic normalizes.
This role is a great opportunity to join the Diavik team.
Duties will include the following:
- Perform repairs in a cost-effective, safe, and environmentally friendly manner to maximize equipment availability. The incumbent will be working on but not limited to Cat: excavators, D10/D6 dozers, Komatsu: 785/830E haul trucks.
- Fill out work order and reports on repairs and diagnoses prior to the end of each shift.
- Provide sufficient detail about repairs so that others can understand what work has been done on the equipment.
- Keep work areas clean and free of safety hazards on a continuous basis.
- Conduct safety audits as per company policy.
- Provide written reports to the Mobile Maintenance Supervisor as requested.
- Adhere to safety and environmental rules and contribute to safety and productivity by constructively participating in safety meetings and incident investigations.
- Conduct equipment reviews to ensure new and existing equipment meet site safety standards and operational requirements.
- Assist other trades persons to achieve Maintenance goals as required.
- Help develop Heavy Duty Mechanic apprentices including delegating tasks or projects that will assist with their skill development and meet apprenticeship requirements
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- Journeyperson certification as a Heavy Duty Mechanic;
- Interprovincial Red Seal certification;
- Current St. John’s Ambulance Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR is an asset;
- Training on the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is an asset
- At least one year of experience working as a Heavy Duty Mechanic on the same equipment as is used at Lac de Gras mine site is preferred;
- Understanding of the NWT Mines Act;
- Familiarity with new technologies and equipment (e.g., Cat SIS, Cummins Insight, etc.);
- Ability to maintain and repair industrial equipment;
- Proven oral, written and active-listening skills and ability to work in high stress situations and resolve issues
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.