The bookkeeper is responsible for administering Foster Family Coalition of the Northwest Territories (FFCNWT) financial transactions. The will record transactions, make payments, balance the books and bank statements, and generate financial reports. The bookkeeper needs to be familiar with various programs and project run by the organization, and maintain organized and easy to track financial data through Quickbooks Online. On-the-job training is available, however applicants need to have strong organizational skills, ability to understand and work with financial data, and great problem-solving skills. This is a part-time position at 20 hours / week.
- Keep track of all the business’ financial transactions
- Maintain accurate financial records
- Keep the accounting filing system in order
- Oversee the business’ inventory and cash flow
- Manage the annual budget and petty cash fund
- Calculate budget variances and report any significant issues
- Pay suppliers, customers, and debts on time
- Manage debt levels to ensure debt covenant compliance
- Enforce sales tax collection from customers and remit them to the government
- Ensure the prompt collection of receivables
- Balance the financial books by reconciling them with bank statements
- Communicate financial issues to the management
- Generate financial reports with analysis of the financial statements
- Provide the information accountants and auditors need for their reports and audit
- Follow the standard accounting procedures and policies
- Ensure compliance with the local, state, and federal government’s reporting requirements
The bookkeeper will work in an office environment, will be paid hourly, and depending on the needs of the organization, is able to work flexible hours.
- Energetic, committed to the goals of the organization and able to communicate and implement ideas.
- Problem-solver who works efficiently and respectfully with employees and Executive Director
- Maintains standards of conduct and demonstrates sound work ethics.
- Respectful, self-motivated, disciplined and understands the necessity for confidentiality in all business and personal matters.
- Able to deal with complex processes
- Excellent data entry and record keeping skills
- Attentive to details and thorough
- Has good communication skills
- Honest and able to work with discretion
- Strong organizational skills
- Bookkeeping experience or education an asset
- Ability to work with numbers and make sense of expenses and budgets
- Experience working with bookkeeping software, and/or ability to learn on the job