Journeyperson, Industrial Electrician
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- 8-month fixed term position
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for an Industrial Electrician to be responsible for maintaining and repairing of power generation equipment, local distribution equipment in a safe, environmentally friendly, and cost-effective manner to ensure availability is maximized.
This is a great opportunity for an Interprovincial Red Seal Certified Electrician to join a diverse team - the Powerhouse Maintenance Team.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible. Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
Reporting to the Power Generation Supervisor this position will be based at the Lac De Gras mine site and will be working on a 3 weeks on/ 3 weeks off rotational schedule assigned to the Powerhouse Maintenance Team.This role is a great opportunity to join the Diavik team. Duties will include the following:
- Performing repairs in a cost-effective, safe, and environmentally friendly manner to maximize equipment availability. Various styles of Power Distribution Equipment the successful incumbent to work on include but not limited to:
- Distribution systems up to 13,800V
- Various VFD’s, PLC’s and DCS (ABB, Siemens, Allen Bradly and Delta V)
- Various Other Auxiliary Fixed Plant Equipment
- Filling out work order and reports on repairs and diagnoses prior to the end of each shift;
- Providing sufficient detail about repairs so that others can understand what work has been done on the equipment;
- Keeping work areas clean and free of safety hazards on a continuous basis;
- Conducting safety audits as per company policy;
- Adhering to safety and environmental rules and contribute to safety and productivity by constructively participating in safety meetings and incident investigations;
- Conducting equipment reviews to ensure new and existing equipment meet site safety standards and operational requirements;
- Assisting other trades persons to achieve Maintenance goals as required;
- Help develop Electrical apprentices including delegating tasks or projects that will assist with their skill development and meet apprenticeship.
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Journeyperson certification as a Red Seal Electrician;
- Interprovincial certification is Required;
- Current St. John’s Ambulance Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR is an asset;
- Training on the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is an asset;
- Minimum one (1) year of experience working as a Journeyman Electrician on similar equipment as is used at Lac de Gras mine site is preferred;
- Understanding of the NWT Mines Act;
- Familiarity with new technologies and equipment
- Prime power generators and Distribution equipment experience
- Ability to troubleshoot, maintain and repair electrical and electronic circuits
- Excellent oral, written and active-listening skills;
- Highly organized and ability to work in high stress situations and resolve issues;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team.
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive compensation
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Applications close on Friday the April 28th, 2021 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)